• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fel pro intake gaskets leaking?

anoblefox

Contributor
what is the deal with the felpro 1250 intake gakets? We used them exclusively for 9 years on customers vehicles with no problems. I always used permatex non hardening sealer at the water passages and rtv at the ends instead of cork. I used studs to lower the intake squarely and used a inch pound torque wrench with many steps without a hitch. What am I missing here, I have been out of the picture for the last ten years pursuing a retirement health pension.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
There has been some discussion here about the problem. IIRC the 1250 gaskets are for race engines that do not stay together long. There are 1250s-3 gasket that have a steel shim for long-term use. Some also have recommended Edelbrock gaskets.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Had a cloose call, just went to change from carb to fi & two waterports were about to introduce themselfs .

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've never had a issue with the 1250's. I've even reused them once when I needed to reseal the valley. but then again I have aluminum heads as well. I think the issue with the 1250's has been 2 fold one that aluminum intakes and cast iron heads expand at different rates thus the gasket tears or starts leaking. the other thing I have noticed is that it is nessesary to retorque the intake bolts after a couple of good heating and cooling cycles.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you look at the photos of 1250 failures, you'll see a common area of splitting. The intake ports on either side of the exhaust heat riser port have most of the damage. I measured the thickness of my 1250 gaskets and found the heat riser insert both thicker and harder than the main part of the gasket. I think it is keeping the gasket from being crushed properly. The 1250S3 is made for no heat riser port there and has no insert.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
On some automotive forums, these are known as "fail pro".:-X

>>> also referred to as the printo-O-leak gaskets.....yeah aluminum intakes to iron heads isn't ideal or some intake to head combinations, but the failure rate has skyrocketed in the last few years even with ideal aluminum intake to aluminum heads combos...& I refuse to blame everybody with these issues as being incompetent mechanics......Ford Racing/motorsport used to recommend the regular 1250's & 1262's & was the first to notice a big issue ....they had Fel Pro produce a new steel core intake gasket in 2005ish for use with their aluminum Y & X heads.....later on feb.23,2006 Fel-Pro/Federal Mogul did a press release annoucing the new solid core intake gaskets for long term street use>> http://federalmogul.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=89&item=89 .....here's another link from feb. of '09 where I mentioned some issue & put a bunch of links talking about the issue >>http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135536 ...

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
The 1250S3 is made for no heat riser port there and has no insert.

>>> the Ford Racing M-9439-A50 are cut out and do have block off plates & open inserts.........edit again> seems the 1262S-3 is now constructed like the 1250S-3 with no cutout or block off plate & open inserts.....strange 'cause lots run heads with EGR/heat ports.....the Ford A50 gaskets have a blue telfon coated material that has printo seals & I could have sworn the 1262S-3's looked like them at first......now the 1262S's are black outer material like the 1250S's...... maybe the first sets of 1262S-3 gaskets sold back when were the Ford A50 gaskets,hell I don't know

Last edited: