• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finishing up rebuild on explorer 5.0 what upgrades?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i am currently having a new block (new block run it for a short while with a carb in my bronco before i started the ground up build) i had refreshed for all of the explorer heads, intake, and efi. I will be running 4.88s, 4r70w, and 33 inch tires. I will most likely add headers (shorties from broncohut) and an upgraded cold air intake (any suggestions). This rig will be a driver. I dont see a reason to add heads or a different cam. Am i on the right track?

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Just make sure you keep track of the AFR with the carb. I've seen good engines go bad in less than two weeks from washing down the cylinder walls with driving down the road in high 11's AFR.

GT40P's have weak springs, you may want to upgrade to something with 125lbs seat pressure. This way, if you do decide to run an aftermarket cam, most s work with 125lb seat pressure and good to .550 lift. The stock springs float with anything more than a stock cam.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
we are going to freshen the heads up, probably will add roller rockers too. the machinist will check spring pressures.