• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford 400 Motor from 1977 F150

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
351 m and 400's have different motor mounts and will need a different bell housing . If you are going to all that work you may as well put in a 460 !! Dollar for dollar you will get alot more for your money building a 302 or 351 w plus less mounting headaches!!

Jay

No they don't. 351M and 400 is the same block.

Also, if you aren't going to go with EFI, then I will whole-heartedly disagree with your statement of getting alot more for your money by building a 351 or a 302. Not considering the EFI conversion, my 400 build wasn't too terribly expensive. DD estimates the build at 450 ft-lbs of torque at 2200 RPM. Go build a 302 or a 351 that will do that and come back with the receipt. I bet you that I spent less (again, not considering EFI).

I will also have to disagree w/Bax on the "bolt-in" comment. It isn't a true bolt-in. I had to modify my firewall a bit to clear the drivers side cylinder head. I could have avoided this if I went with a 3" body lift, but I chose a 2". Also, I don't see how I am going to be able to get my cooling system to fit without modifying my core support. There are also a couple of other things that I have had to do that I don't consider "bolt-in". Of course, Bax is probably just a better "bolter" than I am. ;D

However, it hasn't been that bad so far getting it to fit. Also, with the NP435 and D20 combo (upgrade that D20 output shaft), you don't even have to move your crossmember.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Bolt in or not , it is tight. I did use bolts to hold it in so it's a bolt in. I did install mine without cutting either the fire wall or the core support.

OX1

Bronco Guru
No they don't. 351M and 400 is the same block.

Also, if you aren't going to go with EFI, then I will whole-heartedly disagree with your statement of getting alot more for your money by building a 351 or a 302. Not considering the EFI conversion, my 400 build wasn't too terribly expensive. DD estimates the build at 450 ft-lbs of torque at 2200 RPM. Go build a 302 or a 351 that will do that and come back with the receipt. I bet you that I spent less (again, not considering EFI).

I will also have to disagree w/Bax on the "bolt-in" comment. It isn't a true bolt-in. I had to modify my firewall a bit to clear the drivers side cylinder head. I could have avoided this if I went with a 3" body lift, but I chose a 2". Also, I don't see how I am going to be able to get my cooling system to fit without modifying my core support. There are also a couple of other things that I have had to do that I don't consider "bolt-in". Of course, Bax is probably just a better "bolter" than I am. ;D

However, it hasn't been that bad so far getting it to fit. Also, with the NP435 and D20 combo (upgrade that D20 output shaft), you don't even have to move your crossmember.

I think from an ease of install standpoint, the 398 stroker is the way to go (guys were posting up over 450 ft-lbs in the dyno thread). 398 is more money than a 400 build (but not that bad for weird parts, just a 300$ crank, 302 pistons, and mandatory balancing), but less headaches installing.
I do wonder how long a 398 stroker will last. The 400 will go 150K, even with 5 PSI oil pressure. :p

Many guys start out with 78/79 broncos and gravitate to EB's. In that case, the 400 can make a good bit of sense since many have a mild 408 build done already with a cam/chain/intake/carb. If you staying or going man trans, all the easier.

and 302 EB motor mounts reversed side to side give you 400 motor mounts.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I did use bolts to hold it in so it's a bolt in.

That is classic man, just classic. BMC can probably use this line as well - he will just have to add the disclaimer of "bolts and a BFH".

Johnny

Mine bolted right in..... with a redesigned transmission crossmember, and a body lift, it bolted right in....

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What?..are there folks out there not usin bolts?;D

OX hit the nail on the head. If you are able to deal with the few issues that you have to to 'bolt' the 400 in an EB, you end up with a torquey 408 'stroker' that will last 200K miles with barely a smirk...and he asn't kidding about the oil pressure. If it has 'any'..its good for another 50K.:p

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Oil pressure is overrated anyway.