• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford TFI Ignition Spark Test

bax

Contributor
Old Member
do yourself a favor and go remote mount TFI

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

I hear they run cooler. Are the distributor mounted TFI that unreliable? When I go offroading I usually brings spares of everything (fuel pump, carb or tbi, sensors, ignition, coil, etc...)

My last efi conversion I did EDIS, below is my 1966 edis megasquirt

http://www.fintechcommunications.com/funstuff/

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The distributor mounted TFIs are pretty reliable. I haven't fried one yet.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
The distributor mounted TFIs are pretty reliable. I haven't fried one yet.
I agree. I only had one fry in 25 years of owning Fords. The time it did fail was when my 67 Mustang restoration was completed, and my Italian friend threw a handful of change in the back seat for good luck........ Go figure.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah, my distributor mounted TFI works great. The fan blows tons of air across it and the aluminum distributor is quite the heatsink...

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Well my cleveland engine ate them on a regular basis. about one every 6 months. until I went remote mount. No problems since. No I was not buying the cheap TFI modules.