• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Found an easy way to install D44 inner seals

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Since I don't have all the cool tools I had to find a way to drive the inner seals in flat. I used the 4x4 front 4 prong socket flipped with a few 1/2 ext. to reach through the axle tubes and grabber a hammer. Went together well.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Looks similar to how I did mine, went through the axle tubes. Works well for the amateur mechanic.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That hub tool is good for driving a variety of seals.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I dont understand. Why the extension sticking thru the outside of the tube?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
So what was the number of the seals .. I'm just about to have my carrior changed in about a week.
.. So I need that seal no.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
seals install from the inside. I guess if he is knocking them out that is good.
He's going from the opposite axle tube, so he is installing from the inside of the housing.

Good idea. But you're making me feel tool-inadequate. There's no way I have that many extensions to cobble together to get all the way through an axle tube! ;D

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
When I replaced mine the local ford dealer let me use there install tool. but thats a good idea just as well :)

Oside66

Loc.
Vista, CA
Make sure you buy quality seals!!! I recently rebuilt my Dana 44 and got most all the parts through the vendors. Granted my axles are showing some wear, I had to replace the inner seals within a week!! Replaced them with Spicer seals, a noticeable difference in quality, and no more leaks!!!

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
MOOG part number 5131.

For the record I think there may be two different seal types for the inner seal. I removed some odd looking cones pieces from the axle tube. The seals would not fit with them in place. The seals I have already have a rubber extension on them that clearly replaces the need for the steel cones. I will grab a pic later of it.

When I did the D44 HP axle swap the seals came with the trade. The inner seal is a pretty pricey seal. So I hope they hold up. Would hate to take it all apart again.

You don't have to hit the extensions that hard. They are far from being ruined and besides what are tools for. I ruin more screw drivers than anything else from using them for the wrong job. One of those extensions is almost long enough to fit in the short side of the axle tube. I put but two extensions together to reach inside on the short side and three for the long side. I was to lazy to remove the 3/8 to 1/2 adapter, it was not needed.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
He's going from the opposite axle tube, so he is installing from the inside of the housing.

Good idea. But you're making me feel tool-inadequate. There's no way I have that many extensions to cobble together to get all the way through an axle tube! ;D

Bax I thought you was smarter than that!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Oh I am I have a double ended porta power that will install both at once. Dont make me go all matco on you now.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I have/use the same tool except I cut the tabs off and use it turned over with a extension and brass hammer. Faster than the screw installer.

Since I don't have all the cool tools I had to find a way to drive the inner seals in flat. I used the 4x4 front 4 prong socket flipped with a few 1/2 ext. to reach through the axle tubes and grabber a hammer. Went together well.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
So is that no. 5131 Moog a no. for the seals. I sold parts years ago and never knew Moog to sell seals..
.. Any one have the National seal no. or maybe that SPICER No. .
..Please. Mine should be a 1972 or 73. if that makes any difference.

OP
OP
Bronco73

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
It said moog on the big sticker. Boxes are long gone now. Autozone has them. Just look them. The venders have them too. Not sure if your looking for a ford part number or what but the seals are pretty easy to find.