• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame boxing/reinforcing tips...

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
I am looking for tips on how to reinforce my frame ends, both front and rear. I am moving my coil towers approx 5" forward and using an F150 4x4 steering box (arm forward). I plan on shaving the front crossmember and adding a new 2"x2" crossmember for additional strenght. The rear spring hangers will go all of the way to the rear of the frame.

I have a mobile professional coming to do the welding for me once I have everything mocked up.

How thick should I go on the metal? Should I re-box the ends or just reinforce the sides? What about the steering box area?

Bronco Brett

Loc.
little rock ar
depends on what u plan 4 the rig. 3/16 would B A good reinforcement upgrade . u might as well box the ends to ad strength 4 winch bumper.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I used 1/4 on the front and 3/16 on the rear. On the front I would recommend that you make a longer piece on the Dr side inside edge to go back and reinforce at least the 1st bolt on the PS box...I went back about mid box. I also plated the entire area on the outside from just behind the body mount bracket to as far back as I could go on the PS mount surface (3/8"). As well, I agree box the entire frame horn front and rear as far back as you can go. At the front your limited on top, but with a slight bend in your stock you can go a little further on the bottom...definitely do the insides...the outsides are short, but I did those too.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I welded my tube bumpers right into the end of the frame. You need to have an access hole from the bottom of the frame for the rearmost bodymount if you do this. (and reinforce around the hole.)