• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame Paint

PickleJar

Getting ready to paint my chassis. I had it blasted and primed first to find any bad spots. I got it primed to protect the surface while I work on any bad spots.

Anyway, I did some grinder work, and fixed the rear body mount holes, and reprimed. Everything looks good to go.

I was planing on painting it with single stage, matte black enamel.

What brands has everyone used? What do you like? My father inlaw used majic rustkill on his truck and it turned out very nice. I'm open to suggestions.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
I would have epoxy primed it what primer did I use?? I use SPI EPOXY PRIMER ON EVERYTHING. Then I go from there so what your going to put on it now somewhat depends on the primer you already used.. also there are recoat windows and your going to have to sand what's on there now …. But if it was me and planned to leave black I would of epoxy primed 1 light coat then 1 medium coat then wait till next day an 2 more medium coats and been done.. paint choice what do you have available locally?? PPG Delfleet reasonable priced easy to spray,, paint available to me is limited due to Cali. And the county I'm in .. or you could use one of the chassis paints

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
PPG Amerlock2 + Cure is what i use. it can be sprayed but I brush it on. Best option for me in the middle of the Pacific Ocean

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use epoxy primer from TCP global read the instructions it can be used as a sealer coat over what you have now but has to flash and then follow up with your over coat. what ever brand of primer you have now should have something available in their family line. you risk inviting trouble mixing brands. If you used spray cans I personally would strip it all off and start over. the choice is up to you. take a rag of paint thinner for your top coat and wipe it on your primer and see if it effects the primer you have put down if it does then you may have trouble when you over coat it. for me epoxy primer is my best friend.

Spaggyroe

Consider the inside of the frame too. I used a frame coating by Eastwood that has a long (24-30" or so) hose with a spray nozzle on the tip. I used that to coat my frame on the inside.

1970 Palmer

I'd be concerned about the primer you already have applied, as previously stated. Everything you shoot from this point forward is dependent on how well the metal surface was prepped after the blasting. Most blasting places around here, just blast, and Shoot It!

Sand the entire frame with 320, clean it with what ever prep cleaners are sold in your area (AQMD regulated products), and shoot it with a two part epoxy primer. SPI, PPG, TCP or many other brands work fine. The (black color PPG) Epoxy primer will leave a semi gloss finish and work just fine for frame paint. It's UV safe, no need to top coat with a single stage if the color/sheen are acceptable to you.

Be aware there's a world wide shortage of the raw resin materials that paint companies use to make any epoxy products. Buy all of your paint needs ASAP as prices have risen in the past 90 days, AND will continue to rise for the rest of this year, due to product shortages.

1970 Palmer

I use epoxy primer from TCP global read the instructions it can be used as a sealer coat over what you have now but has to flash and then follow up with your over coat. what ever brand of primer you have now should have something available in their family line. you risk inviting trouble mixing brands. If you used spray cans I personally would strip it all off and start over. the choice is up to you. take a rag of paint thinner for your top coat and wipe it on your primer and see if it effects the primer you have put down if it does then you may have trouble when you over coat it. for me epoxy primer is my best friend.

Good advice from Rusty. If a Lacquer Thinner rag will soften your existing primer, it's not Epoxy. Wash it down with a wet rag and sand it for tooth before you spray your first Epoxy coat.

If you watch your recoat times (per the MDS sheet) you do not need to sand between coats.

OP
OP
P

PickleJar

Thanks all for the great advice. My local place sells PPG. I'm not sure what brand or if the existing primer is epoxy, but I am still within the window of top coating. I can find out from him though. I'll be sure to get my supplies in a hurry!

On a second note, talked with the crew today who's building my new tub! Super exciting stuff!

aisawalsh

As Spaggyroe stated, I would coat the inside of the frame prior to painting the outside. I fished a rope/string through the rail first and used it to pull a air hose back and forth to remove any crap and bought a longer hose the same size as the hose with the coating kit as it was not long enough to do the frame rails from one end to the other in one shot. Used the string again to fish the coating hose and start spraying while pulling the hose back through the rail. You will have some coating come out from hole/gaps in the frame (that is why you do the inside before painting the outside. If the frame will be powder coated then the internal coating will have to be done after the powder coating due to the heat used to cure the coating could damage the internal coating.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Had mine dipped in epoxy, then sprayed a good semi glass black single stage.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you don't already have an Eastwood catalog, get one (they are free). Lots of options. Even if you choose something else you have an idea of what is in the market.

I still think the best way to coat the inside of the frame is to get a squirrel and dip him in a gallon of paint and then stick him in one end of the frame and let him run out the other end. That bushy tail makes a great paint brush.

walls

In my opinion people put way too much thought and go way overboard with painting the frame with all this crazy coatings and chemicals and paints and whatever else. The frame has lasted 50+ years out in the elements driving in rain and snow and mud and winter salt with just a basic coat of whatever the factory used and it's still here under your bronco. 90% of the broncos on earth that are being restored to the point you are painting the frame are kept inside and never going to see the harsh conditions it has seen for the past 50 years. After having the frame blasted Pick a color and finish that catches your eye spray the frame and start bolting parts back on it and enjoy the next 50 years driving your bronco if you live that long.