• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fresh Air Box On Passenger Side Mod...

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
O.K. - I'll say up front that this mod is only gonna interest ~1 in a hundred of you guys; having said that, if your Bronco is only a "fair weather vehicle" like mine is, and/or you live where the weather is "sunny & mild" 340 days/year like it is here in SoCal, and/or you just don't CARE about having a heater with all its associated hoses, wiring, and a lot more "junque" under your dash, then take a look-see...
I've been into Early Broncos for only ~6 years now; having said that, I've built 23 vehicles from the ground up - mostly muscle cars, and almost all of 'em were "restomods", even before the term restomod existed. When I bought my current '69 Bronco (my 2nd), it was either a factory "no heater" vehicle, or the factory heater was removed; it was also missing the driver side fresh air vent assembly. Since it was so, and as it's starting to warm up 'round here, my first move was to call up WH and get the driver side fresh air vent box shipped to me; easy install, as there was just a blocking plate screwed over the horizontal hole in the firewall. That done, it got me thinking about installing the very same driver side air vent over on the passenger side, but as we all know, that section of "horizontal" sheet metal slopes down at a more severe angle, so it wasn't gonna be a simple R&R. I studied on it for a coupla weeks, then ordered the passenger side (heater) fresh air vent inlet assembly and another driver side fresh air assembly, then fired up the Dremel. I only took three pictures (sorry, I was too busy DOIN' to take a bunch of photos), but let me describe in detail what I did:
1). Summon the aid of Mssr. Jacques Daniels, a fine helper for a job like this one!
2). Take said driver side fresh air vent assembly and cut the entire "upper lip" off of it, leaving just the flat mounting area with its 8 associated mounting screw holes. I also cut off the bottommost rear "drain outlet" completely flush and plugged it with a plastic hole plug; you'll see why in a minute.
3). Now comes the tricky part in it all - you're gonna want to cut a hole in that sloped horizontal section on the passenger side that will allow you to drop your now-modified (and no longer returnable, LOL!) driver side vent into same. I simply took the sheet metal piece that a PO cut to cover the driver side hole; assuming you don't have that, you'll just have to pull a measurement off your air vent box and fire up your cutting tool. Keep in mind two things, as precise placement of said hole is obviously CRITICAL: It can't be too far forward, since the vent box will get VERY close to the break in the floorboard where it goes from vertical to the sloped (45 degree?) portion where your passenger puts his/her/its feet. I lucked out on this one; in retrospect, I should have cut the hole back further towards the glovebox assembly.
4). After you've said your Hail Mary's and cut your hole, test fit your now-modded driver side air box; it should drop right in the hole. Assuming success, take it back out and grab your nice new passenger heater fresh air assembly - you'll be putting the chainsaw to IT now! Assuming that you're working on an already-assembled Bronco, you're gonna have to cut off that plastic section that drops down at a 90 degree angle between the inner and outer fenders; the one that supplies fresh air to the heater via the ~4" round duct in the inner fender well. I cut mine off "horizontal to" the metal riveted-on metal section, so it will appear "stock" after mounting; then I measured a 1" thick block of black closed-cell foam to stuff up into this section - I sprayed some adhesive onto the edges so it would stay up in there. This will force ALL the air that's coming down through the hood grille into your vent box.
5). Lay your now non-returnable passenger side fresh air vent on the sloped section over the hole that you cut, then shut the hood to align the vent with the grille section of the hood. Once you're happy with that, pop your head up under the dash and trace out the open section of the firewall hole that you made onto the metal section of the fresh air vent - the one that's riveted onto the plastic grille; you'll be cutting this out next.
6). Assembly time! Set the now modded passenger fresh air assembly aside, grab the modded driver side fresh air box and drop it back into the hole. Drill 8 holes in the sloped firewall section and mount the box assembly to the firewall - I used #8 machine screws. Rather than using flat fender washers, I opted for 4 thin pieces of aluminum which I drilled for the machine screws - these pieces serve to secure the vent assembly to the firewall:
normal_Vent1.JPG

7). Now you're gonna mount your modded passenger side grille assembly right over the top of your vent box; again, I secured it to the sloped firewall section w/#8 machine screws - it lined up perfectly (sorry for the bad picture):
normal_Vent2.JPG

8). You're pretty much done at this point. You'll notice in this photo that the vent box is gonna sit at a slight "angle" due to the sloped firewall section that it's mounted to. This doesn't happen to bother ME; if it bothers YOU, then you'll have to go through the logistics of modding your driver side vent box further so that it mounts completely vertically. You'll also notice that I've inserted a metal and rubber hole plug in the now-vestigial heater vent; I sourced that from McMaster-Carr:
normal_Vent3.JPG

Again - I know this will pertain to a VERY small audience! Further plans on my end are to make that heater vent operational using a '56-'62 Corvette fresh air "door" and an associated Bowden cable - I guess I'm just a Fresh Air Freak! Rubber side down, Gents!;D

SeanT4x4

That is interesting. Looks like the box is too long though, touching the floor board. Wonder if there is a way to shorten it up.

OP
OP
T

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
It does JUST touch, Sean; not a problem in my particular application, but might be if you are running carpet. Per my (lengthy) write-up, if you were to cut the hole in the sloped flat firewall section back ever-so-slightly from where *I* cut it, it would be clear of the floor...

Otherwise, the only way *I* can see of having it clear the floor w/o seriously altering the vent assembly even more than I did would be to drill out the rivets holding the plastic & metal passenger side vent assembly together, then mount the (driver side) fresh air vent box INSIDE the metal portion of the passenger side vent assembly, rather then underneath same as I did. I seriously thought about doing this, but was too lazy to do this; plus, all I have are pop rivets, which I thought would look unsightly...

FWIW, I've "suggested" a properly modded combination of these two vents for an application like this to Wild Horses. It wouldn't take too much re-engineering to "mesh" these two items together for a more proper fit & appearance; *I* was limited by my own tools and modest home shop. It wouldn't surprise me if the VERY next guy to embrace this project comes up with a better result than *I* did...;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At least that part of the "floor" is the high point up against the firewall, and now down low like some might think. The angle makes it kind of look like it's down near your heels, when it's actually up by your toes.

Probably be easier for some people at least, to add an appropriate upper plate to level out the point at which it sits on the cowl. That way you don't even use the old one as the cover. You just set it up so that it sits up against the hood itself.
Easy for those that know metal work, or something else could be done.

We just did it to an EB without the vent. Simply(?) turned the cowl into one level surface all the way across and eliminated the hole altogether. Would have preferred adding an additional vent like you did though.

Good idear there.

Paul

OP
OP
T

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
Dirt Donk has it right; upon reviewing that last photo, it DOES look like it's all the way down onto (the flat portion of) the floor, when it reality it's up near the top of my (size 12) shoes when I'm sitting in the passenger seat; not at all obtrusive...

Furthermore, when you're sitting in that seat assuming the passenger position, you hardly even see the door of that vent...

Ropagnani

Quick question for my '73 that i just got, aka: The Rabbit Hole! is there a way to install a new passenger side fresh air vent without removing the fender? My PO removed it and plugged up the hole in the sidewall, i currently have the dash completely removed and am replacing the heater box. thoughts? how big of a project is removing the fender? I am a new guy to all of this! thanks in advance!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey new-guy Ropagnani! Welcome to classicbroncos!

I'm pretty sure you have to remove the fender. Otherwise you'd have to mangle the stock style vent to get it around all the corners and into the side hole. Or create your own if you like fab-work, that will allow you to do it. But I'm pretty sure that would be more work than removing the fender.
And that's the good news really. The fender is not one of the bigger body jobs. In fact, other than rusty bolts, it's one of the easier ones!

But those rusty bolts and bits are what will really turn what should be a half-hour or less job, into an all day cuss-fest with hair pulling and dark thoughts of why did you get yourself into this in the first place.
You know... Fun stuff.

All the bolts to remove the fender are very obvious, except for the top one or two between it and the grille. I would be some here have resorted to removing the whole front assembly/clip to get a fender off, because those grille bolts were rusted and twisting in their clippy thingies.
If yours fight you, that might be the quickest way.

If they don't fight you however, you'll be in great shape.
What condition is the body in right now? Much rust that you can see? Even extensive surface rust can indicate future problems with those fasteners that are hidden up high in the grille shell.

Good luck!

Paul