• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Greasing linkage for Clutch Pedal

clinem03

My 76 wagon sat for 20 years before we started the restoration. Lots of work has been done including a new clutch and flywheel. My clutch pedal was always a little rough when pushed, but it seems to be getting worse. There seems to be a lot of friction when I depress the pedal, and when it hits the bottom of its travel it squeaks (not consistently, only when the pedal is fully depressed and I move my foot around a bit so it is somewhere in the linkage). I have the shop manual open to see all the linkage but it is unclear to me where I should grease it to get rid of the friction and make the full travel more smooth. Does anyone have any tips on servicing the clutch pedal/linkage?

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I worked the linkage over on mine 30 years ago, I used a small diameter rod with heim joints on either end for the clutch lever to Z-bar connection (you can actually buy these now). Super tight and low resistance. I also put new pivot bushings in the Z-bar, inserted a wooden dowel between the bushings and retained with a screw through the tube wall then installed a grease zerk on either side of the dowel so I could force fresh grease through and past the new pivot bushings. Not sure where your issue is, but clean and grease is nice.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
There are several places in the linkage that would cause pedal roughness and noise.
There are pedal bushings on a shaft that supports the brake and clutch pedal. These are made of nylon, and are fairly easy to replace by pulling out the shaft.
There are bushings both ends of the clutch rod, and also on the bullet adjuster.
Lube points would be the pedal bushings, clutch rod bushings, Z-bar zerk, and the bullet where it meets the clutch fork.
I like to use a silicone spray on the bushings, and regular chassis grease on the Z-bar zerk and on the adjuster bullet.

When I replaced the auto with a manual tranny in ours, I just bought all the rod material and heim joints to make the whole setup, and eliminated all the linkage bushings. It made a really smooth clutch.

Attachments

• image0[3540].jpg
    image0[3540].jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 54

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The original parts work perfectly well if cleaned and lubed. The knee jerk reaction to go to after market replacement parts has no basis in fact.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The original parts work perfectly well if cleaned and lubed. The knee jerk reaction to go to after market replacement parts has no basis in fact.

I agree. buy an aerosol can of white lithium grease. This stuff is perfect for brake parts, door mechanisms, and garage door hinges.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Boom, probably the bushing in the clutch pedal assembly under the dashboard. a Little tlc, but you need to remove the darn thing to do it.

But first I'd disconnect or loosen the clutch rod at the fork and let that fall lose, then see how everything above that moves. I bet freely. I bet a throwout bearing is gummed up.

BTW my new favorite grease is a wd40 product with teflon in it. Might not be as good as white lithium for this application though. Works great on home window parts. Thats thread creep for ya.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Great advice everyone, thank you! I plan to take all the original components apart, clean them and then put it all back together. There was a lot of mud caked up on the bottom of the truck and I suspect its causing all the friction

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Except for the connecting link between z-bar and pedal arm. I've replaced many of those with a link with heim joints over the years because of the excessive wear in the two holes and the ends of the link itself. Works the charm...cheap and permanent.

I've put a heim end on a few of the clutch fork actuation rods too, over the years.