• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Guessing this wasn't a factory option

broncoP

Contributor
Never seen this before, not sure why it was done but they did a pretty good job. My only guess was for a Pto shaft to go through? Any ideas? Front cross member

Attachments

• 20191216_202919.jpg
    20191216_202919.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 396
  • 20191216_202928.jpg
    20191216_202928.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 334

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yup, PTO shaft.

Got a buddy's Bronco with it, I ran my PTO shaft below the crossmember. No idea if it was in the crossmember when he bought it or what...???

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
My 68 had a PTO on it when I bought it. They had a gearbox hanging in front to drive stationary water pumps at the end of sluiceways in an aluminum plant. They "massaged" mine with a torch and a BFH to clear the crossmember. Passenger side. Same spot. I don't see it as an issue on mine...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, very clean job. I wonder how many EB's got that mod?

Paul

OP
OP
broncoP

broncoP

Contributor
Next question, I plan on building this bronco to sell down the road. Do you think it would be a deterrent to some if they saw that? Don't really want to grind it out and redo, looks strong. If it was done from Ford then I guess it shouldn't be an issue?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've purchased 10 EBs over the last 20 years. Not once have I ever looked at the cross member when making a purchasing decisions. I'd guess that 80% of potential buyers wouldn't even notice.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Leave it. It's part of the Bronco's history even if it was installed by a dealer, rather than by Ford, or shop in Denver for a tow-service's winch so they could pull people out of snow drifts, or run a plow, or a front-mounted auger.
It's part of Bronco-lore and should be kept unless you just don't like it.

With the Bronco being built in a more standard fashion now, nobody would ever note that it did not have the hole. But having it would be at the very least a conversation starter.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Leave it. It's part of the Bronco's history even if it was installed by a dealer, rather than by Ford, or shop in Denver for a tow-service's winch so they could pull people out of snow drifts, or run a plow, or a front-mounted auger.
It's part of Bronco-lore and should be kept unless you just don't like it.

def won't hurt it so why not....

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Next question, I plan on building this bronco to sell down the road. Do you think it would be a deterrent to some if they saw that? Don't really want to grind it out and redo, looks strong. If it was done from Ford then I guess it shouldn't be an issue?

If you're taking it down to the frame, fix it. Especially if you plan to add some horses.
The cross members are the weakest part of a Bronco's frame. There are only two cross members, and they need to be 100%.
You see the front cross member notched a lot for a serpentine conversion. I wouldn't do it.