• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

H4 Halogen vs LED headlights

MJs71Bronc

Loc.
Granby, CT
Hi there fellow Broncos. I'm in the process of restoring my 71 Bronco and trying to decide which kind of headlight setup to get.
Looks like the best 2 options are the H4 Halogens or the newer LED headlights. There's a significant price difference of about $150 vs $400 LED so that's a factor.

Are the LEDs worth the extra $$?

Thank you everyone

jperry1290

I bought some Sunpie led lights off Amazon. Sure they are not the best, but better than my old bulbs. Easy install and less than $100.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
The site headlight revolution has some good articles and reviews of the lights.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run and like the look of Hella lens with H4 Halogen bulbs. I run 55 /100 watt bulbs.
Def not as bright as LED s or HID s , but I like the look of the H4 s for my bronco more old school. Then I don’t blind everyone either

But then I run HID spots and have a Led light bar also

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is a sponsor that I am sure will step in and add to this. I forget his name at the moment.

Not all lights are created the same. I'm not talking LED to H4, but LED to LED, to LED and H4 to H4 to H4. A good headlight has a good pattern to it. Good cutoff shape, doesn't blind oncoming traffic. No, you don't "just aim them down" to fix that' Properly aimed a good light will have good distance and not blind. That is where the magic is at in headlights. Anyone can make a headlight that lights up everything, and do it cheap. That doesn't work.

So what do you want for a look for one? If you want a conventional looking headlight, H4. Looks like a normal old school headlight. Want the modern projector headlight look, LED fits in.

And while they make LED retrofits for H4 housings, don't do it. The light output cannot be correct. The position of the kernel of light, the source, has to be matched to the housing, reflector, lens.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Another one, LEDs can run too cold for winter driving. Not melting snow off the lens. Some LED have heating elements to melt ice/snow build up.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I really like my H4s with Cibie reflectors. They seem to have the most crisp pattern and cutoff of any lens I've seen.

Todd Z.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
There is a sponsor that I am sure will step in and add to this. I forget his name at the moment.

Not all lights are created the same. I'm not talking LED to H4, but LED to LED, to LED and H4 to H4 to H4. A good headlight has a good pattern to it. Good cutoff shape, doesn't blind oncoming traffic. No, you don't "just aim them down" to fix that' Properly aimed a good light will have good distance and not blind. That is where the magic is at in headlights. Anyone can make a headlight that lights up everything, and do it cheap. That doesn't work.

So what do you want for a look for one? If you want a conventional looking headlight, H4. Looks like a normal old school headlight. Want the modern projector headlight look, LED fits in.

And while they make LED retrofits for H4 housings, don't do it. The light output cannot be correct. The position of the kernel of light, the source, has to be matched to the housing, reflector, lens.

https://www.hidprojectors.com/

bbaltered

I don't know how they compare to LEDs but I have the Hella H4s with the 55/100 watt bulbs. These really light up the road without blinding people coming the other way. Great lights that don't break the bank. I know that the Cibie H4s are great lights also.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I also run the hella h-4. I'm happy with em. Like said above I just dont think most of the led headlights look right on a vintage truck. The one thing I didnt see mentioned is amp draw. The led lights draw far less and provide brighter a light. With the h-4 you need to make sure your wiring is up to the power they draw. Mine have been fine running with a centech harness. If you have the old stock harness they recommend a relay and wiring kit for em

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
I also run the hella h-4. I'm happy with em. Like said above I just dont think most of the led headlights look right on a vintage truck. The one thing I didnt see mentioned is amp draw. The led lights draw far less and provide brighter a light. With the h-4 you need to make sure your wiring is up to the power they draw. Mine have been fine running with a centech harness. If you have the old stock harness they recommend a relay and wiring kit for em

Like Steve said, you won't get full potential of the lights being fed through the headlight switch and wiring. Harness with relays is the way to go. I would think the headlight switch,even a new one, would be right on the edge of the thermal breaker inside.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had both and prefer a really nice LED.

Attachments

• IMG_9494.jpg
    IMG_9494.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 140