• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Happy hour and federal airway beacons

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Spent a week with friends out in the basin & range country of northern Nevada recently. A great trip, found yet another great campsite and a couple of mostly unknown US Post Office airmail route airway beacon towers dating to the late 20's - early 30's. As always my Bronco was my faithful conveyance.

Attachments

• IMG_8259.jpeg
    IMG_8259.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_9761.jpeg
    IMG_9761.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_9750.jpeg
    IMG_9750.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 132
OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Looks like a fun stop. Hopefully you didn’t have to fight with whatever built that nest lol
Nope, no talons to be seen in the vicinity. Judging from the detritus on the ground around the towers, they've been used as nesting sites for a long, long time.

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I can't begin to compete with Mitch Creel for quality of photos, let alone videos, but I can say that our ancient Broncos make great campmobiles. AKA "overlanders."

Makes me smile when I see blog posts about using quaint old vehicles for overlanding, what I grew up thinking of as car camping. The implication being that if you can't afford to have a turbine helicopter trailing you the entire way with spare parts and a mechanic, you should stick with a heavily modified and upgraded version of the 4wd du jour from a dealer's lot. Otherwise you'll never make it home. Sure. My 1970 Bronco has gotten me there and back again endless times in the last 26 years, and never needed a tow.

The basin & range country of the American West is fabulous territory for exploration. There are probably other parts of the world that can match it, but not without a lot of inconvenience, political instability and cash.

Attachments

• IMG_8343.JPG
    IMG_8343.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9790.jpeg
    IMG_9790.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9783.jpeg
    IMG_9783.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9745.jpeg
    IMG_9745.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9752.jpeg
    IMG_9752.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 43

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I don’t know Lars, some of those pics are pretty good, that bacon looks particularly inviting🤩 something about bacon miles from anywhere is special. OK the landscapes are pretty spectacular as well😎

You’re right about the exploration out west, I’ve explored a lot of the West, Rockies, Midwest, Ozarks and Appalachia. It is all beautiful in its own way, but something about exploring the deserts of the west is special. Maybe because It is so different than where I grew up and currently live, the endless vistas, the remoteness, the history that is preserved by the dry climate, I really don’t know but it holds a special allure that drives me there and makes me go to great lengths to make it happen. Being able to make those trips and do that exploration is what drives me everyday to get up and get things done so I can go back. I too use old vehicles. I believe if you build them simple, build them robust, use them often, keep them tested and maintained they are perfectly reliable.

I will say though every time I do a new build and spend 2 years shaking it out, finding it’s faults and eradicating them, that new vehicle sure looks inviting. However in the end there is something about old iron, keeping life in it and not just driving it to get ice cream on pavement, but testing it’s metal against nature, against distance, against terrain, against your building abilities and succeeding is so rewarding.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Speaking of bacon, I need to introduce you to my smoked breakfast sausage and eggs. Make enough for leftovers, add some cheese, roll in a tortilla, wrap in foil for slap happy delicious manifold burritos 😍😎

Man I made myself hungry 🤣🤣

OP
OP
lars

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Speaking of bacon, I need to introduce you to my smoked breakfast sausage and eggs. Make enough for leftovers, add some cheese, roll in a tortilla, wrap in foil for slap happy delicious manifold burritos 😍😎

Mmmm.. you just inspired me...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Easy recipe, smoke a roll of sausage to your preference or….. flatten the roll to a thick patty, place on grill on indirect heat, lid closed till it reaches 165* internal temp, for me usually 40-45 minutes and be prepared to loose some IQ points as your tongue gets to slappin your brain😎

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE

Planting time I’ve been known to roll up a Runza and ”tractorwave” it for 45 min to an hour. Works great!