• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Header gasket for Bronco Hut headers on GT40P heads

JK

Loc.
Kent, WA
So the Bronco Hut headers have been installed for less than 2 weeks. I continued to heat cycle and retorque the bolts, chasing a very small exhaust leak on the drivers side. I used the Edelbrock gaskets supplied with the headers. The bolts definitely stayed tight, and just when I was ready to pull the drivers side to check the surface again (flat and true when installed), I get a nasty leak on the passenger side. Much worse, it would appear that the gasket has blown out. The drivers side couldn't be located at idle, only really happened under power. The passenger side is obviously coming from the rear ports at idle. I'll be pulling both to check things over, as no amount of tightening seems to help. I've checked all the clearance issues indicated in other threads, and I'm not hitting anywhere. I planned to get some Remflex gaskets and give that a shot, but I can't find any good info/part numbers for the GT40P heads. Anyone know if the basic Windsor 289-351 gasket will work with the Bronco Hut headers and 2000 Explorer GT40P heads? Anyone happen to have used them and have a part #?

landshark99

Bronco Guru
I used those gaskets with my Sanderson headers as well and had leaks almost immediately. I put some graphite gaskets on that crush slightly and haven't had a problem since. I think they are made by remflex. They are just standard ford 302/351 gaskets.

OP
OP
JK

JK

Loc.
Kent, WA
I used those gaskets with my Sanderson headers as well and had leaks almost immediately. I put some graphite gaskets on that crush slightly and haven't had a problem since. I think they are made by remflex. They are just standard ford 302/351 gaskets.

Were yours on a GT40P or a stock head? I can't find the exhaust port specs for the explorer head and there are alot of 302 gasket choices.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Percy's all the way. Duffs and your local auto parts store carry them. Prolly other vendors do too

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
/\ /\ /\ X3. Chased a leak 16-17 years ago, put a set of Percy's on, retorqued once never had a leak since. I've had the headers off a couple of times since and reused the same gaskets without any problems.
Mark.

Action

remflex

I run the Remflex and been pretty happy......No leaks. I run 351w heads and headers made for a 302 so it is kind of hard to find a gasket that won't leak.
Jack

OP
OP
JK

JK

Loc.
Kent, WA
Well I've eliminated the leak on the passenger side, looks like the drivers side is at the collector. I ended up ordering both the Remflex and the Percys. Remflexes arrived first, so I have a back up plan if it returns. For others that come across this question, the remflexes are 3003's. A few pictures of the culprit, and a comparison of the fiber edelbrock gaskets that BH sells vs the Remflex set. I was leaking at the passenger side, second cylinder from the rear. For those of you that have the BH headers, you'll notice that this is the primary that overlaps the bolt just enough that you can't put a socket on it. Have to use an end wrench, and I could tell by the compression that those bolts were not torqued nearly as much as the rest. Plenty tight, but not as tight as a socket would get them. The thick remflex should hopefully remedy the situation.

Thanks for all the inputs. If the issue comes back, Percys it is!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought the point of the Sanderson's was to not use a gasket at all?
Maybe that's only on some of theirs, but it was a pretty big headline in their catalog I just looked at.

If you haven't already installed them this time (hopefully the last!) maybe a quick call to them will put that little rumor to bead. I'm sure BH would not include gaskets if they were not needed, but that little feature really stood out when I was reading the Sanderson lit.

Perhaps it's just for their cast headers. Worth a quick call anyway though, I would say.

Paul

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Sanderson Headers are designed to NOT use gaskets.

Front page of their website and the same info SHOULD have been included in the packaging.

Patented Leak-Free Flange!

We offer the only patented leak-free flange on the market. Our design is so unique that no gaskets are required, just a bead of Permatex Ultra Black® or other compatible high temp silicone.

OP
OP
JK

JK

Loc.
Kent, WA
I knew that in the beginning, but has anyone had success running the BH headers without gaskets? It seemed like the the gaskets weren't a "requirement" when I called BH, but a suggestion for a better safe than sorry. Looking at the mating surfaces, it seemed hard to imagine that there would be a leakless seal without them, but I didn't attenpt it so I can't really speak to the potential that they would seal properly.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the surface is still flat and smooth, and has not been damaged by running with the leaks, then I'd say it's worth a try.
Our stock gasketless exhaust manifolds have millions of leak-free miles on them after all. The mating surfaces on the stock one are larger of course, but that steel-on-steel interface is pretty good.

Paul

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I knew that in the beginning, but has anyone had success running the BH headers without gaskets? It seemed like the the gaskets weren't a "requirement" when I called BH, but a suggestion for a better safe than sorry. Looking at the mating surfaces, it seemed hard to imagine that there would be a leakless seal without them, but I didn't attenpt it so I can't really speak to the potential that they would seal properly.

I have the Sanderson Headers (what BroncoHut sells) and have 4+ leak less years without gaskets.

bigdaddyof4

Loc.
Vincennes, IN
My boss builds and races modified cars and only uses regular clear silicone. I have repaired hundreds of exhaust systems on heavy equipment with silicone and and the pipes rust before the silicone gives away.