• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help, need some engine troubleshooting advice

marks77

Loc.
B.G.,Ky
I just completed my install of a new wiring harness from ezwiring. Everything is connected as told by the book. My bronco will start, cold (fast) idlle great, runs smooth, but then dies. I can usually restart it once, and it will run again for about 30-45 seconds then die without being able to restart. I replaced the ignition module so I don't think it is that. This may be an assumption, but it seems like when it is time for it to decrease rpms to regular idle is when it dies. Is this possible? Any ideas? I have a '77 with a 351w and Duraspark ignition and a Holley T/A.

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
long shot, but

I had a very similar problem and was beating my head against the wall, but was sure it was something electrical as opposed to fuel starvation.

mentioned in a post something about a tach, and somebody said to try disconnecting it (I thought, bullshit, i've run the same tach for 7 years), but I did, and no problem. I'm not sure if a wire chaffed and grounded out or what, but it worked just fine but was killing the motor sporadically and at normal idle.

long shot, but it only takes a second to check. that is, if ya have even have one.

benmudn

Loc.
NW AR
Do you have an electric choke? If so you might check to make sure you have power going to it.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
m&mbronco said:
I can usually restart it once, and it will run again for about 30-45 seconds then die without being able to restart.

How long do you need to wait till you can start it once?
When it dies is the coil hot to the touch? Has it cooled down when you can start?
Is there a ballast resistor (resistance wire) in the wire harness you installed? If not the coil may be over heating and opening up.
Is there gas in carb (vapor lock)? If you have electric fuel pump does it still have power?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
My first thought was already mentioned by the Oldtimer. Wiring kits (most) don't use a resistor wire from the ignition switch to the coil. Most kits do include a separate ballast resistor to splice in if you need one. Not having a resistor when your coil is designed to have one will cause the coil to overheat.
I'm not familiar with ezwiring, so... I dunno ?:?

It's approximately 1.4 Ohms reistance required for stock, and some aftermarket ignitions.

OP
OP
M

marks77

Loc.
B.G.,Ky
coil & wiring harness

To think of if, the coil is hotter than normal after start up and when I was putting in the wiring harness, I noticed no resister. Man, I am sure glad you guys are here to ask this stuff; I was afraid I was going to have to take it to a mechanic and I haven't had to that since I got my bronco. I will check that Monday and I appreciate the help. Also, is it conceivable to just get an aftermarket coil to hook-up to it or should I install the resister? Will O'Reillys, AutoZone, etc. have the resister? Thanks again!!