• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with hoses

cbjacks

1st forum post! I have a 74 with a 351w & need help running hoses. I’m not a mechanic so please forgive the incorrect descriptions. In the 1st pic you’ll see what I believe is my brake booster vacuum hose ran to my intake manifold. Is this the correct run?

https://pin.it/RZoKhzx

In the 2nd pic, I believe I’m missing an oil cap adapter. When I got the bronco, the heater hose in the pic was attached here. Since replacing the heater, I’ve learned that 1 heater hose needs to go to the water pump, & the other to the radiator. Do I need an oil cap adapter & if so, do I need to run it anywhere? I’ve seen caps with & without tubes.

https://pin.it/2aJiHbj

Thank you,

CB Jacks

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Welcome to the forum, and the obsession! You might want to consider becoming a contributor so you can post pics directly to the forum. I can't see your pics, cuz I don't have a Pintrest account. However, I can tell you that one of your heater hoses will come off of the water pump, and the other off of a fitting on the intake manifold. An oil cap adapter is unrelated to that system. Depending on your type of induction and air filter, you may need a hose from your oil filler cap to your breather. Some one else will be able to give you advice on the routing of the brake booster line.

It will be helpful if you post up all the stats you can on your rig, like brake configuration, power steering, lift, things like that. And pictures!

OP
OP
cbjacks

cbjacks

Welcome to the forum, and the obsession! You might want to consider becoming a contributor so you can post pics directly to the forum. I can't see your pics, cuz I don't have a Pintrest account. However, I can tell you that one of your heater hoses will come off of the water pump, and the other off of a fitting on the intake manifold. An oil cap adapter is unrelated to that system. Depending on your type of induction and air filter, you may need a hose from your oil filler cap to your breather. Some one else will be able to give you advice on the routing of the brake booster line.

It will be helpful if you post up all the stats you can on your rig, like brake configuration, power steering, lift, things like that. And pictures!
Awesome. Thanks for reply. I was wondering why I couldn’t post pics! I’ll look into being a contributor now.

OP
OP
cbjacks

cbjacks

Reposting with a few extra pics. In the 1st pic you’ll see what I believe is my brake booster vacuum hose ran to my intake manifold. Is this the correct run?

In the 2nd pic, I believe I’m missing an oil cap adapter. When I got the bronco, the heater hose in the pic was attached here. Since replacing the heater, I’ve learned that 1 heater hose needs to go to the water pump, & the other to the radiator. Do I need an oil cap adapter & if so, do I need to run it anywhere? I’ve seen caps with & without tubes.

Thank you,

CB Jacks

1675797455798.jpeg 1675797501744.jpeg

pic 4.jpg pic 3.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey CB, thanks for the pics. They really help.
But thanks even more for becoming a contributor right off the bat too! Helps keep the site as good as it is now.

I see a large red hose in the front of the engine. The PO (previous owner) obviously decided to bypass the heater core with a loop of hose to the two locations that normally get the standard routing of the hoses.
As mentioned, one hose comes from the top of the intake manifold and runs to that "heater control valve" that is hanging by a control cable at the back of the engine. From the other end of the valve that molded hose with the bends in it will attach to the hose nipple/barb/fitting sticking out of the firewall towards the inside (right).
The other fitting sticking out of the firewall will have another hose running from there straight (well, quite curved usually!) over to the fitting on the water pump where the red hose is connected in it's loop.

The knob inside the truck on the dash marked "TEMP" is the one that controls the heater's temperature through that valve.
It's possible that the heater core (the part you can't see at the other end of those hose fittings on the firewall) was leaking, or that the control valve was not shutting the flow of coolant down enough and the Bronco was getting hot (or wet) inside in the summer.
Hence the bypass...

While the brake booster vacuum hose is not technically incorrect, the standard location for it to connect to the engine is at the fitting near the back of the intake that usually has other hoses attached as well. The PCV valve hose would normally go to a fitting at the base of the carb, such as the one now connected to the brake booster.
However you have an aftermarket 4-barrel carburetor instead of the original Ford 2-bbl carb. Looks like either an Edelbrock, or it's Carter predecessor.
The carb you have actually has two fittings available, one front and one back, so both of your hoses can stay where they are.

The PCV valve that is on the driver's side valve cover inserted into the oil filler cap should only be connected to the front (or back) of the carburetor. The secondary smaller hose is normally not utilized on a Bronco. Or most other Fords for that matter. They just happen to use the same PCV valve on multiple applications and some very few would have a need for that upper fitting on the valve.
Maybe there were Broncos using them, but I've never seen one. So I would remove the smaller hose and cap off the small fitting on the PCV valve AND the one at the back of the intake.

Can you post up some more pics of the top of the engine, only closer to that red hose and PCV valve and carburetor? Just like to see some more details.

One more observation. Maybe it's not a problem in your case, but MSD and practically every other ignition coil manufacturer recommends that their coils be mounted vertically/upright instead of lying down like yours is.
It's common practice to mount them lying down because that's how Ford did it originally. However our original Ford coils were designed and manufactured with that in mind, while most other coils expect you to mount them standing up so they don't have to be as diligent at filling them with the oil (for cooling) as Ford did.
If it never gives you any grief, then fine. But if you start having issues with overheating ignition coils, try to find a spot where you can mount them upright instead.

And post more pics of the whole Bronco when you can. You'll find we love pics here!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and when the air cleaner is installed, does it have a hose running down to the rear of the passenger side valve cover to that hole there? You need some kind of filtered air source for that port, so either a tube to your air cleaner, or a stand-alone breather filter will work.
Just make sure it has something or dirty outside air gets sucked into the opening.

Does look like a 351, but we can make sure with a quick pic of the area under the distributor. Or you can verify at a glance. If the block ends and intake manifold begins just a 1/4" or so above the base of the distributor, it's a 289/302. If it's about an inch or so higher, it's a 351W.

Just thought I'd throw that in there in case there was ever any doubt as to the seller's honesty-quotient. ;)

Paul

OP
OP
cbjacks

cbjacks

This is great info. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.