• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with which parking brake kit to get

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
I bought a parking break kit from CJ pony and it is not the correct one (didnt have the springs and I couldnt figure out how to do it, so honestly I didnt even take it out of the package and returned it), would love it if someone would be able to point me in the right direction on this....really gotta move on!

The bronco has 2.5 suspension lift and 1" body lift. I need the front and rear cables. Thanks so much!

Super D 73

Contributor
Bronco driver
Loc.
OH
Bronco Graveyard sells the left and right extended-brake cables that work good with the two and a half suspension lift and inch body lift. On the front cable you'll either need the 66 through 76 style or the 77 Style. You're going to need four retainer Clips to hold the cables in the mount brackets and if you need any of the hardware like the return spring, adjusting rod and the lever they sell that too. They have a pretty good picture of how it all fits together if you look up the park brake cable Hardware.

Good luck !

Dennis

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Springs? Which springs?
Are you referring to inside of the drum brakes, or the coiled metal encompassing the entire cable?
Sounds like you’re only replacing the cables, so I would guess that you are looking for cables that look like the factory originals? If so, I’ve never seen them.
They might be available from some restoration parts company, but the only ones I’ve ever seen from the aftermarket are smooth jacketed.
Even the new cars come that way, so it’s probably just how they’re made now.

Anything wrong with your originals? You don’t necessarily need longer cables for a 2 1/2 inch lift.
I didn’t.
I used my factory cables all the way up to 3 1/2 inch lift and still went four wheeling with it.
The cables were certainly too short by then, for full wheel travel, so if that’s what you are looking for, then, you definitely need the longer ones.
I think all the vendors sell them by now.

If you’re only going to be playing on the street however, they are more than long enough at their stock length.
If your old ones are simply worn out and lubricating them inside does not make them any better, then yes, you need new ones.
But I think the only ones you can get are the ones you see with the black jacket.

Was that what you were referring to?