• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How Bout A Soft Top Mass Buy???

N.FloridaBronc

Loc.
Tallahassee area
RAYC, thanks for the pics, that was exactly what I needed to see. Very sweet ride... looks like the fit is awesome. Now if I could see some close up pics like that of the competitor, I could make a decision.

Jeff

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
N.FloridaBronc said:
RAYC, thanks for the pics, that was exactly what I needed to see. Very sweet ride... looks like the fit is awesome. Now if I could see some close up pics like that of the competitor, I could make a decision.

Jeff

rayc,

it should be pretty easy. I wa living in hawaii and bought an stc top that I could put up and down as conveinant. Bestop has to be removed...labor intensive. Looks nice just not functional. I thought ud like to know as we were both in similat climates.

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Someone said their old Kayline leaked around the doors. Does the new STC leak?

So I think we've concluded the STC is easier to take off (or put down as the case may be).

But how about weather proofness (is that a word) ? The Bestop is getting very good comments on that topic. Anything on the STC?

On materials, aren't both avaialble in the denim material that is used on the TJs?

JP

rayc

Loc.
Western Oregon
HotWheels said:
they are both made of the same material so weatherproofness, as u put it, is not a deciding factor.

Yes they are made from the same material, but I think jpoore is talking about how they seal out the elements. I have never had a STC or Kayline on an EB, so I don't know how they seal around the doors. I do know that I just took a 200+ mile trip over the Santiam pass during heavy rain and snow and didn't have any water come in due to a bad seal in the top (my windshield gasket is a different story;) ) STC may be just as good but from what I've read it doesn't appear to be.

I guess it comes down to what you are looking for in a top. For me, in Oregon, I don't need to put my top up super fast. For the most part, it will be up from October to June and down from June to October. I like to have the good seal for the weather around here. If you live in the banana belt, the STC might be better for an unexpected rain shower.

N.FloridaBronc

Loc.
Tallahassee area
I think jpoore was asking about the framework around the doors and how well they fit in that aspect. That is why I asked for pics of the bestop. If I could get pics of the STC like rayc posted of his Bestop, especially around the doors, I think I could make a decision. I don't mind having to work a little to get it up and down as long as the damned thing fits right.

Need some GOOD pics of the STC to compare to the GOOD pics that rayc posted of the Bestop.
Jeff

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Exactly. If I'm going to get wet, all the other particulars are moot, IMHO.

So the final qustion, at least in my mind, is whether the STC seals up nice and tight like the ST is said to?

JP

brianca

I really need a soft top, so I'd probably be in for either. Which ever works out have the majority support. I like the sound of the fold down though, so it's easy to get up when it starts raining.

brianca.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
you know, I had the stc soft-top and soft doors in Hawaii (3ft of water in 15 minutes bruddah!) during the last hurricane. No worries. Yet I too wonder how they seal around the factory doors as that is what I am using now....

:cool:

SpecBlend04

Loc.
Sarasota
When I bought my bronco it had soft doors on it and an old Kayline soft top... it appeared to seal ok.... But when I switched to the hard doors, I never could get it to fit right around the doors, I dont know if it is my doors or what, but I still have not been able to get that thing to fit right. I am not picky so I have dealt with a litle cold and a little leaking, but there has got to be a better way. Besides the canback, I am pretty skeptical of the EB soft tops in this department. I havent seen the new STC or the Bestop up close, but I am reluctant to spend the money if I am not even sure it will keep out the water. I am much more inclined to mess with this old Kayline to get it to fit better, unless you guys can come to a consensus about the fit around the doors... lets hear from more of you year round soft top guys, and people in rainy climates. Ok I will stop ranting now, thanks to all you guys for the great discussion on the site...

FJC