• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I'm I gonna mess something up?

POPPAWS BRONCO

Loc.
Horn Lake, Ms.
So after I had a tire blow on a road trip the biggest tire I could get at Walmart on a Saturday was a 31's so I got 2 for the rear. I was running 33's so I still have them on the front. Gangster lean aside this is temporary till I put my 3.5 lift on then get 35's. I won't be putting it 4x4 but, am I hurting anything with two different size tries for the time being?

Hey!!! Let me hold a dollar I'm in the middle of a restore here!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
you will be fine with the same size, like you said just don't run it in 4x4. get rid of the gansta look and put the big tires on the back and have a cool rake to it;D

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
you will be fine with the same size, like you said just don't run it in 4x4. get rid of the gansta look and put the big tires on the back and have a cool rake to it;D

X2... as long as you have the same size tires on each axle you are OK...just no 4-wheel drive.

OP
OP
POPPAWS BRONCO

POPPAWS BRONCO

Loc.
Horn Lake, Ms.
Well I ended up buying 6 tires(4 on the wife's) in one day so it hurt my pocket worse than pride. On top of that these are temporary so feels like a big waste.

Hey!!! Let me hold a dollar I'm in the middle of a restore here!

camodown

Should be able to sell them to get most of your money back especially if your 33's are decent enough to sell.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even with mismatched tires on the same axle, you won't hurt anything on an open differential. Well, it'll put extra wear and tear on the gears, as if you were turning a corner constantly. But with good lubricant you'd probably have to drove on it that way for quite awhile before you noticed anything.
If you have a limited-slip on the other hand, it will really put some accelerated wear on the clutches. And if you have a locker, well I'd hate to be driving that thing on the street!

But you did the correct thing no matter what. Even with an open diff you could have experienced some odd handling issues with only one tire being smaller.
So good job on everything but the pocket book!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha! Yeah, one method at least. We should start adding that to our list. Change one tire or, if the lean is slight, just let more air out of one side!

Of course, blowing a tire and running off the road could be another cure for the lean. In a bad way, but still a potential cure.

Paul