• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inflatable paint booth? Anyone ever used one?

mebco09

Just checking here before I get any deeper in researching these-

Has anyone used one? If so, what are your thoughts?

Seems like it might be an OK option rather than trying to Macgyver one in my garage with visqueen and filters etc. Simply turn it on, when you are done, turn it off, roll it up and store it.

Anyone have any insights?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I just figured I'd buy one of the canopies from hf and call it good. I'm in so cal. What could go wrong?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ca EPA will come and tent you house. You’ll become a supper fund clean up site
Haaaa

71 CA Bronco

Make it a weekend job. Those bastards won't come out then. Heck most won't leave their house because they are still getting paid to stay home. ;D

RM70

Contributor
Loc.
Huntsville, AL
Just checking here before I get any deeper in researching these-

Has anyone used one? If so, what are your thoughts?

Seems like it might be an OK option rather than trying to Macgyver one in my garage with visqueen and filters etc. Simply turn it on, when you are done, turn it off, roll it up and store it.

Anyone have any insights?

A youtube channel I watch has one and they used it a couple times. I looked up the price and theirs was something like $15k.

Video - https://youtu.be/ZSSyeL9HFas
Booth Company - https://mobileenvironmentalsolutions.com/

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Get the bigger size, the one they often say for cars is too small. Also on ebay get the two blower version, I think $1100-1300. Check craigslist too.

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Get the bigger size, the one they often say for cars is too small. Also on ebay get the two blower version, I think $1100-1300. Check craigslist too.

I thought that was the price that I saw. Seems like it would be worth it for 1 or 2 cars maybe. I had an inflatable pool and slide that ran on a blower for my kids, I think it was $800, so $1000 ish might be in the range.

Just curious mostly, sounds like if I were in CA, it would be a no-go.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
I’d be afraid to loose power while the booth was inflated! Still think you’d have to be painting a lot to make it economical.

broncobilly72

Last time I painted my Bronco I built a spray booth in my garage using plywood cut into 2"x3" strips screwed together, attached a plastic enclosure and included a cut out with a fan and filter. It worked great and have since reassembled it to do smaller projects like motor cycle and bicycle parts.

RonJones

Contributor
I painted an airplane fuselage using a pvc pipe frame and heavy mil plastic tarps with two box fans sucking air through two HVAC filters at the other end. I center hung a couple LED shop lights, in addition to the shop lighting outside the “booth”. Worked, but lighting and space to maneuver were issues, as was paint dust accumulation on the plastic, gradually diminishing external light and peeling off, especially when brushed against, generating airborne flotsam which don’t help a paint job. Bigger size and more fans would have been better, I think.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Worked, but lighting and space to maneuver were issues, as was paint dust accumulation on the plastic, gradually diminishing external light and peeling off, especially when brushed against, generating airborne flotsam which don’t help a paint job. Bigger size and more fans would have been better, I think.

Ron, what size did you build? I am planning on something real close to what you did. Also, I recall a thread where someone did the same thing outdoors.
Howard in beautiful West Michigan

RonJones

Contributor
Ron, what size did you build?

22 x 10 ft x 8 ft high; that was for a 16 foot x 4 ft (at it’s widest) fuselage. If I had to do it over, I’d want 6 ft clearance all around, and 4 box fans. If you have to disassemble it and throw it back up, just use new plastic, as handling the plastic makes the dried paint easily flake off.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If "sucking out" then you need an explosion proof fan set-up. all the dust and fumes concentrated in a tent and a good 'ol spark from the fan and it's a visit from your friendly fire dept....
Pushing in outside air THROUGH filters is a different story....