• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing windshield frame- sealant?

mebco09

I'm getting ready to install my windshield frame on my 1967.

Question- is there a sealant placed underneath the hinge flange? I have the rubber piece that goes between the hinge legs, but it seems like there should be something underneath between the mounting channel and windshield hinge. (Where the windshield bolts to)

If so, what is the recommended adhesive/sealant?

I have the assembly manual, and it's unclear from the diagrams what goes where.

Thanks in advance.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’d like to know what people use as well. I don’t remember hearing of anyone actually doing it, but we’ve talked about it for years and in my opinion every windshield frame should be sealed.
Not just below the hinge, but between the hinge halves with something more effective than that rubber piece. Though they do work passably well in most cases, they’re not my favorite.

Mine leaks like a sieve from both areas and I’d love to seal it up. My 71 got a little fingertips worth of silicone sealer, just right over the paint on the hinge itself.
Squeezed it down into the cracks and crevices with pressure, and seem to work pretty well. I don’t know that I’d do it on new paint, but it worked pretty well on the old original paint.
The other thing, though, is that most silicone sealers act like glue, the consistency and strength of concrete after they’ve set up permanently.
I wouldn’t want to try to remove the windshield frame again after using silicone. Gotta be a better product out there.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I used this, so far so good (one rainstorm):

CRL Pint Windshield and Repair Butyl Sealant - Pint Can​

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I used "the right stuff" between the frame hinge and the cowl, use Permatex aviation number 3 on the bolt threads and the stock rubber strip in the hinge and have had zero leaks.

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Good thought on the bolt threads. I didn't consider that.

Anyone use 3m seam sealer? I'm thinking I might need to touch up paint it if it splooges out under the hinge itself. Not sure if the other products would be paintable.