• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

IS having machine shop balancing a stroker assembly necessary?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thinking of stroking a 5.0 and reading on some mustang sites where they talk about balancing is a must. Is this cause they are drag racing and spinning 6-7000 RPM?

Or do 99% of people just assemble them like a stock rotating assembly and rock on down the road?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Thinking of stroking a 5.0 and reading on some mustang sites where they talk about balancing is a must. Is this cause they are drag racing and spinning 6-7000 RPM?

Or do 99% of people just assemble them like a stock rotating assembly and rock on down the road?

I don't build a motor these days without doing a balance of the rotating assembly. The cost here is not that much in comparison to the overall cost of the rebuild. Call it piece of mind or a left over mind set when I used to open track a Fox body Mustangs ;D

Doug

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I always have them balanced. I just did a 331 with a Scat crank and rods and Wiesco pistons and they were pretty far off. As 904 said it is well worth the piece of mind. I think it was around 125 bucks to have done. Ken

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
If you don't want them to shake...
For sure do it. Don't forget to send in flexplate or flywheel

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Most of the kits come already balanced.

A stock build you are dealing with stock specs and they generally come close. A stroker is a mix of parts. So much stuff far from stock. Get it balanced.

Watch the old YouTube videos on the flat head V8 and those were even balanced when new

Will never do another engine I care about without balancing. It does make a difference

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've noticed a confusion about engine balancing.
There's both the static balance and dynamic balance.
The static makes sure the piston/rod assemblies are the same.
The dynamic balance makes sure the crank, flywheel, clutch/torque converter, and harmonic balancer are balanced.
Most new cranks, flywheels, and harmonic balancers are already balanced. But how they behave together may be imbalanced.
If you plan to run over 5K RPM, have it checked.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was referring to dynamic balanced, though I didnt know it's real name.
The kits that include the harmonic balancer and flywheel and are advertised as balanced are dynamic balanced I assume.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The original question goes to the point often made that a stroker should be built as an internally balanced engine, meaning zero imbalance and using a harmonic balancer and flywheel with no imbalance weights.
The arguments I have seen for that are well made.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I rarely build any engine without having it balanced. I take care of weight-matching the rods and pistons in my own shop so that I only have to send one rod/piston/rings assembly to the balance shop.

As automotive machine shops closed up one by one in our area, a buddy of mine and I bought up various equipment as it became available and a good balance machine is about the only thing left on our "want list".

There are some corners that I never cut when building a new engine:

1. Do final bore hone with torque plates installed.
2. Line bore/hone the mains journals.
3. Square deck to the crank centerline.
4. Balance the rotating assembly.
5. Recondition/resize the rods (if used rods)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The kits that include the harmonic balancer and flywheel and are advertised as balanced are dynamic balanced I assume.

If these come as a kit, and are advertised as a balanced assembly, I'd use it as-is.
As far as I know, there aren't any other rotating parts involved.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Yes..that's the only kind of balancing that matters actually. If they are selling the entire rotating assy as having been balanced then it should be ready to install.;)