• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for rebuilt 170 6-cylinder

klundeen

Hello Bronco Crew...

Okay, I've been restoring a 1967 Bronco for the past 7 years. It's been an honor and a privilege! The engine was in mostly running order when I picked it up...just required a few basics (new fuel pump, water pump, starter, etc...all bolt-on stuff). However, over the past year, the engine has developed a serious rod knock and is sounding like it's time for a rebuild. I always thought that I'd do a V8 swap when the 170 hit it's last mile...but now that it's here, I've realized that I prefer the slower place that this thing takes me whenever I drive it. My speed goes down. My hurry goes down. My stress goes down. I like the pace of the 170. And now, I've decided that I want to keep it as original as possible.

So, I'm looking for some help sourcing a rebuilt 170. None of the shops around me are interested in the project, so I'll likely be tackling it myself. I'd love if anyone had any leads for me (or mentoring guidance!). What is considered best practice for rebuilding this old six?

Thanks in advance for any help, tips, or leads you can send my way.

Best, KDL

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I know you said you like the slower pace, but I bet you would really like a stock 200 instead.

Give us a location. That would be a start.

The six just doesn't have the aftermarket support and supply chain. You can't just go get one. You will have to find one and have it rebuilt.

OP
OP
klundeen

klundeen

I know you said you like the slower pace, but I bet you would really like a stock 200 instead.

Give us a location. That would be a start.

The six just doesn't have the aftermarket support and supply chain. You can't just go get one. You will have to find one and have it rebuilt.
Thanks for the tip! Totally open to the 200...but don't know much about it...will start the research tonight! I'm located in Utah near Salt Lake City. I'll start poking around this evening...but do you know off the cuff if it will mount up to the transmission I have (three on the tree is just too fun to leave behind unless required!).

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
200 cid will bolt straight up to where the 170 bolts up. My previous EB (‘72) started life with a 170 and 3 on the tree but had a Fred Jones remanufactured 200 installed before I bought it. Engine did well (had 9.00 X 16 military tires) as long as it “lived” in the Ms delta. Plenty of power with 33’s on it.

Randy

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I had two 66', one had a 200 with 4.56 gears and the other had a 170 with 4.10 gears. The 200/4.56 was like a rocket compared to the 170, just absolutely no comparison. Absolutely worth the 200 unless you're wanting to keep it stock original or something. It's a direct swap, no mods.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, when you look for a replacement 200 there are some differences between years. In 1969 the carb opening went from 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" so your original carb won't fit. Use the larger carb. Old ignition and newer ignition was different, use the later ignition and the newer carb. You should keep the earlier adjustable rocker arm shaft if it is still in good shape. The later heads have large combustion chambers and can be milled down.
Visit Fordsix.com. There is a tech section with information to help.
Get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook and learn about the Ford six engines.
Good luck

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Those 6-cylinder links reminded me on something. One of them (may not even be one listed), the owner died but the site is still up and running. If you try and buy something off the site it is a black hole. Good information on the site, just not good for buying stuff. So research which site that is if buying anything. I bet someone will comment this post knowing exactly what site I am thinking of.

OP
OP
klundeen

klundeen

Well, that's it...going with the 200 swap. THANK YOU for the ideas and details. I plan to drive this bronco FOREVER, so I guess step #1 is going to be to find the best rebuilt 200. Thanks for the link BOB...any others you'd all point me to? Where can I get the very best rebuilt motor? Seems like there are quite a few options for a rebuilt 200 (and sounds like I want a post 1969 200 for the reasons B RON CO mentioned (which I take as a good sign!). Is there a known gold standard out there?

Besides rebuilding the top end of a 1969 R69S BMW motorcycle...this will be the deepest I've gotten into a motor, so thank you in advance for I'm sure all the questions that will follow. I just ordered the falcon performance handbook and will start spending time on Fordsix.com to start...

And Hooray for keeping three on the tree!

bmbm

The later 200 six came with the large log head with bigger valves which is a good choice for a rebuild if you go that route. The Falcon Handbook is great for planning and Vintage Inlines recently published a very comprehensive guide on the rebuilding process. I have a copy somewhere but don't recall the name of it but it is on the Vintage Inlines website. You may find a rebuildable 200 on fordsix.com forum in the parts for sale. I have always missed my three on the tree.

bmbm

This 200 is in Corona, Ca not too close to you in SLC and would need to determine if it will bolt up to what you have. Decent price if in good shape to drop in or a rebuild with a torque cam and larger carb, higher compression and Pertronix. Of course a later head with the big valves , 3 angle valve grind and port/polish could add to that.

https://fordsix.com/threads/selling-200-straight-six-…-250-dollars.84783/

OP
OP
klundeen

klundeen

Thank you for the link, and the build tips. Planning in the torque cam and the larger carb. Need to look up Pertronix now...thanks!

bmbm

Thank you for the link, and the build tips. Planning in the torque cam and the larger carb. Need to look up Pertronix now...thanks!
Pertronix would be if you want it to look stock under the hood. For a better ignition at a reasonable cost get the DSII distributor and related components. The 66 block should accept the DSII distributor but verify first.