• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for tailgate rust repair wisdom

Jh350

Hey all. To start with, this is my first rust repair project, so I'm just looking for some input from anyone who has done this before. I am also wanting to do this as correct as I can, meaning I don't want to take shortcuts, and am hoping to learn some new tricks and build some confidents along the way.

So here's the back story... I noticed some rust bubbles on the bottom edge of my tailgate, and wanted to strip it down to try and tackle some small rust spots before they got out of hand. Well it seems like a previous owner already did this, and not the way I think it should have been done :mad: . Their solution was to spot weld thin sheetmetal strips over the rusty areas, then bondo the hell out of it to hide the seams. They did this on the outside of the tailgate and on the inside. I don't want to just scrap this tailgate and buy a new one, mostly for the reasons listed above, along with I'd rather put that money towards my already lengthy shopping list for the Bronco. So I purchased a patch panel from toms, but will also need to source a strip of metal to fill in the bad areas on the inside of the tailgate. My plan is to POR15 the inside old metal, then use weld-thru primer on the new metal and where I will be welding.

Now onto my questions:
on the inside of the tailgate, there is a factory seam about 4 inches up from where the rust ended (see the first picture), and I wasn't sure if I should replace with all new metal up to this seam, or if I should continue with my original plan of just replacing up to my cut line? If I did replace up to that seam, any idea how its constructed from the factory (how to remove the top metal without damaging the layer beneath it?)

Also, should I separate the bottom hinge pipe and rebuild the ENTIRE bottom section of the tailgate, or would it be better to just alter my new patch panel to fit around the old metal (which appears to still be strong)?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or advise on this, hopefully this all make sense haha.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 126

AC932

Contributor
I'd probably just go to your cut line, and I'd leave the hinge pipe alone and alter the patch panel. Generally when I mess with a seam, stuff bends, and you can actually see that part of the tailgate sometimes.

If you do decide to go to the seam, I believe its just a series of spot welds, you can drill them out and the panel should pry up relatively easily (but then I never repaired my tailgate soo....)

OP
OP
Jh350

Jh350

I'd probably just go to your cut line, and I'd leave the hinge pipe alone and alter the patch panel. Generally when I mess with a seam, stuff bends, and you can actually see that part of the tailgate sometimes.

If you do decide to go to the seam, I believe its just a series of spot welds, you can drill them out and the panel should pry up relatively easily (but then I never repaired my tailgate soo....)

This is the direction I'm leaning towards too. I feel it would be difficult to match that seam, especially being my first patch panel project. Thank you for your input.

I'm still hoping someone out there has done this specific patch (seems to be a common rust spot) that can weigh in with some first hand experiences.

73azbronco

Bronco Guru
would not a new repop tailgate be way cheaper? $400, even if you just use the bottom section to graft that on.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have a gate a previous owner grafted on s repair section. It lasted 7 years before it started to show. For some that is great life. What made it fail in the end was the previous owner put the patch over the old bottom section and it continued to rust. If the I was doing it again I would slice off the old crap that is rusting and seal it with sprayable weld-through galvinized coating. Then butt seam weld the edge (carefully, slowly, keeping it cool) on both sides. If you are a real problem solver you could weld the front (because you have to metal work the seam) then use panel adhesive on the back side. No warp and if your line is straight it will look fine.

I almost bought a new reproduction tailgate from Delco Nick / North East Classic Bronco. He took it out of the box and showed me how the top was all wavy. The old tooling is just worn out and not being used by experts in its use. I kept my old one.

OP
OP
Jh350

Jh350

I have a gate a previous owner grafted on s repair section. It lasted 7 years before it started to show. For some that is great life. What made it fail in the end was the previous owner put the patch over the old bottom section and it continued to rust. If the I was doing it again I would slice off the old crap that is rusting and seal it with sprayable weld-through galvinized coating. Then butt seam weld the edge (carefully, slowly, keeping it cool) on both sides. If you are a real problem solver you could weld the front (because you have to metal work the seam) then use panel adhesive on the back side. No warp and if your line is straight it will look fine.

Thank you for all of the input, I agree. I am going to look at it more this weekend, and see how much I have to cut out.

I almost bought a new reproduction tailgate from Delco Nick / North East Classic Bronco. He took it out of the box and showed me how the top was all wavy. The old tooling is just worn out and not being used by experts in its use. I kept my old one.

I've heard the same from other people, which is why I'm hoping to salvage this one. It is nice to know I could always go this rout though, incase I get in over my head haha.

OP
OP
Jh350

Jh350

would not a new repop tailgate be way cheaper? $400, even if you just use the bottom section to graft that on.

By doing this myself, this should be cheaper than a new one, assuming I can pull it off (patch panel was $45). A new tailgate would definitely be easier, but where's the fun in that ;D

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
By doing this myself, this should be cheaper than a new one, assuming I can pull it off (patch panel was $45). A new tailgate would definitely be easier, but where's the fun in that ;D

Plus the tail gates are pretty poorly made from new - lots of waves and visible welds so it gives you some practice time!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
check my firebronco link on the bottom of my sig. i have a bunch of pics of a tailgate repair done last week.

73azbronco

Bronco Guru

about 40 hours of your labor time back maybe?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman

Attachments

• 7iyIXUl4R2uJSwN17ocFVg.jpg
    7iyIXUl4R2uJSwN17ocFVg.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 7uTvwfOCQPaaR0yv-tI0Jg.jpg
    7uTvwfOCQPaaR0yv-tI0Jg.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Fuo8P_7sSimgBKORsC5pYg.jpg
    Fuo8P_7sSimgBKORsC5pYg.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 46
  • b9_8CJIOR0-6H_uzMJOdxQ.jpg
    b9_8CJIOR0-6H_uzMJOdxQ.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 44
  • a5_-2y-hQQmPhHEZZyLnGA.jpg
    a5_-2y-hQQmPhHEZZyLnGA.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 46
  • AKymdkuDQsyOF_OlreliQQ.jpg
    AKymdkuDQsyOF_OlreliQQ.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 40

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mine was pretty solid but the top left looked like it had backed into something and someone used a puller to pull out the dent leaving all sorts of raised bumps. i was going to cut out and make a repair panel. decided to buy my time and got a new one (a couple of years ago). i would say the quality was really good. i dint have to do any clean up or mods other than maybe one or two welds i ground smooth.

My $0.02

hank