• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LS Motor Swap.... Has it been done?

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I agree with this, go 6spd all the way.

This Bronco is a street cruiser. Now it’s time to find a good transfer case. Any opinions on the best option to go with and where to buy it?

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’d have a 6spd in both of my LS swaps if they were 4th or 5th gen motors that the OEM ecm would control it. I’ve done a couple, there is no comparison.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I‘d like to get a transfer case that wont require me to add a body lift. Not sure if it matter because the new tranny might require that anyway.

My new engine & tranny come with the factory ECM.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
What are you looking at that requires a body lift for the transfer case? I may have just had my head in the sand on the subject too😂.

I’m not a fan of adding an amount of lift, for my stuff if it needs a body lift to clear something the floor gets cut and reworked. Just about the same for suspension lift. Nothing about mine is stock, but it is stock height, measured and compared multiple times.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I’m not sure what fit issues I will have with this swap. I‘m headed down a journey of learning.

I read somewhere that the atlas TC is very tight, and they suggested a 1” lift.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m not sure what fit issues I will have with this swap. I‘m headed down a journey of learning.

I read somewhere that the atlas TC is very tight, and they suggested a 1” lift.
1" body lift always makes things easier.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is that trans compatible with a t-case? Are these transmissions able to swap out the tail housing for a 4wd version easily?
Just asking because it looks from here like a 2wd trans with an output yoke for a driveshaft.

Is that the case?

Paul

Thumper63

Contributor
Do what you want but dont expect to get much love on here for an LS swap. It can and has been done. But I say keep it Ford powered I am not a purist I like stock rigs, wild off road rigs and show trucks. But dont see the need or gain in doing an none Ford engine. Again its your truck do what you want. I also agree an LS or Chevy powered bronco will bring less than a Ford powered one. I have seen this in person at a few Mecum Auctions and I have personally passed on a few broncos over the years that were Chevy powered.

I really dont see the need for all this power in a bronco weather it is a LS, Coyote, or some other high horse power motor. Broncos are meant to cruise and crawl not run the drag strip or do auto cross. Have you ever driven your bronco fast?? They get pretty hairy over 75mph. Sure you can make them handle better and all that but again why? Want to go fast and handel well get a mustang, or some other sports car. Want to cruise in a classic 4x4, crawl off road, and look cooler than any Jeep get a Bronco. There certainly isnt anything wrong with the small block Fords that were put from the factory in our trucks. Mine still has the 289 from 1967 in it and it fires up every time runs 65mph on the highway and can crawl in the rocks. Sure an LS can do that too but why?
Well said brother