• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Memorial weekend trip.....630 miles..... 8mpg!!! and 74 gallons (UPDATE)

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Right...however, there was leaded fuel back in the day making it much easier to read plugs. It's not impossible, but no where as easy as it once was, especially on a well-tuned plug. It takes some miles to leave a pattern.

Plus, you'd tune both fuel and spark by fastest times at the strip, especially mph. This in conjunction with reading plugs and usually a notebook and years of experience depending on atmospheric conditions due to past set ups got you to where you wanted to be. IF it wasn't the strip, it was the dyno looking at the area both below and above the curve and knowing when and where to pull/add timing. Bronco owner's aren't looking to do this. 99% of them couldn't even say how much mech adv or vac advance is being added or what it adds up to.

How many will actually look down to the base of the ceramic on the plug? Know to look for the change at where on the ground strap to tell total vs base? Plus, this leaves the reading wide open to human interpretation...almost as bad as officer discretion. Especially without years of reading plugs. Knowing is great and backs up the wideband and what one has already measured via timing light.

The point is, when I make a recommendation, it's easy for the DIY'r and doesn't require a butt load of reading and education prior to just trying to dial in a carb.

MTX-L is one of the most accurate and cheapest available on the market. It takes out soooooooo much guess work and interpretation. Yes, it is a single, but we aren't tuning a SEFI here with individual injector control per bank along with EGT's, so let's keep it simple. The kit comes with a bung, but you will need a plug if you don't plan to not run it permanently.

The vacuum gauge will be awesome in letting you know where your PV opens up and then you will instantaneously see it on the gauge. When it opens up, it will drop typically two points on the AFR.

By all means, if you take the challenge and mount a MTX-l and start dialing in your 2150, add to my thread your combo with measured timing (base + mechanical+vac and port or full) and what you've measured along the way. It's why I started the thread, for those who love to measure and post results to help the community.

omureebe

Boy with all the back and fourth, I'd think spending the $500 for a dyno tune would be worthwhile. They'll adjust your carb and timing, plus find and issues in your fuel/ignition systems. I did this on a car of mine for performance, and the difference was incredible. I had tried, unsuccessfully, doing this on my own with an AFR tool.

OP
OP
77-302

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
So after some trips to work, Woodward (car shows) and some ice cream runs with inconsistent traffic patterns.... I finally was able to plan a trip with my Truck where I could run 150+ miles and see if my re-jet worked....

To recap all previous posts... I wanted to try to get a little further on my 14gallons of 89 octane. I checked plugs and timing and swapped the .048 jets from my original 2150 2bbl back into the donor carb from a 351 Torino (with .057's)

After 156 miles, I'm still on the same tank.
I will fill up tomorrow, but I'm guessing she'll take about 12-13 gallons of fuel bringing my fuel economy average to around 12MPG.

I tried to keep my speeds consistently between 65-72 as before. Truck was very happy and the plugs look good. No heat issues, no fuss... So if I can keep my average around 12mpg I can live with it and save money for other things... ;D

I'm driving to Akron Ohio the weekend of October 10th-12th. It will be 180miles each way... if I get a chance, I'll post another update when its done.

Thanks for all the input.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Great that your mileage has improved.

Remember the statement you made early in the thread "it's a brick on wheels." Anyone who owns and drives one should understand that "good gas mileage" ain't going to be one of the benefits. This too applies to most all Fords from that era either 2 or 4wd. In 1972 I bought a new Ford Maverick with a 302 2bbl and c4. Drove it for almost 10 years and never got better than 12 mpg. Made me sick but I didn't want a 6 banger being a hot shot during the muscle car years. Hey, a little car like a Maverick should get 18-20 mpg. Righto.

If your Bronco mileage still doesn't meet your expectations do like me and daily drive a better mileage getter, if feasible.

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Ill be running the same carb on a 302 with stock manifolds 2 1/4 2 into 1 exhaust. Also 3.55's in the axel. I may go with 31 to 33 tires. Hope to get a bit better mileage. Akron is getting close to my neck of the woods.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I just drove my 74 wih a 302, auto, 3:50 gears, 32" tires on a 400 mile trip this past weekend. I averaged 17-19 mpg traveling around 55-60 mph for a top speed and 90% mountain roads up to 6500 ft in elevation. If they are tuned right and driven with ease you can squeeze some god MPG out of the little brick box on wheels.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
My experience going back to the 70s oil embargo 55mph speed limit is that any speed 70mph or over causes your mpg to tank.

OP
OP
77-302

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
Ill be running the same carb on a 302 with stock manifolds 2 1/4 2 into 1 exhaust. Also 3.55's in the axel. I may go with 31 to 33 tires. Hope to get a bit better mileage. Akron is getting close to my neck of the woods.

Yep I grew up in the "Valley" right off Akron Peninsula road.
Going back to catch up with some friends. They want to see the EB and it didn't take much to convince me to do a fall road trip.