• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Most bonkers bronco ever, 9 second quarter, 289 power, naturally aspirated, and way more crazy stuff

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've known about this for well over 30 years. This is the first time I have seen the story presented. What a story it is.
Bronco could have had a 427 SOHC, but instead it had a 289.
As you watch, look in the background and all the little details that are not even mentioned.
There are pictures of a '66 Bronco with a regular air cleaner, the Shelby Bronco? Yea, keep your eyes open as you watch this.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Very interesting. A lot more to the story than I had realized.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I've known about this for well over 30 years. This is the first time I have seen the story presented. What a story it is.
Bronco could have had a 427 SOHC, but instead it had a 289.
As you watch, look in the background and all the little details that are not even mentioned.
There are pictures of a '66 Bronco with a regular air cleaner, the Shelby Bronco? Yea, keep your eyes open as you watch this.
I watched it a few days ago but missed the shot with the 66 with the regular air cleaner. Roughly speaking, what part of the video was it in?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I thought he did a great job with it too - a lot more in-depth than I've seen to date. Interesting to read the comments on Youtube - Uncle Tony's Garage says he had a friend that owned it in the '80s - contrary to the story that it was chopped up in the late '60s. Maybe the body survived? Who knows...

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I watched it a few days ago but missed the shot with the 66 with the regular air cleaner. Roughly speaking, what part of the video was it in?

Thanks,
Todd Z.
6:10 mark. When they are discussing the launch of the Bronco with the 200 HP 289 in it. There is a single pot master cylinder and Bronco fender wells, so it has to be a '66 Bronco body.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
6:10 mark. When they are discussing the launch of the Bronco with the 200 HP 289 in it. There is a single pot master cylinder and Bronco fender wells, so it has to be a '66 Bronco body.
Oh yeah. That's an article in Four Wheeler magazine and the photo is of the engine bay of the Shelby Bronco.

Todd Z.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Fascinating! Definitely worth the 26 minuets. I'm calling out the 2500lb curd weight for a stock Bronco. I would love to have one of those.:)

Jim

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
In the early 80’s I remember going into a 4wd shop in Santa Monica seeing used DN 5 speeds and M22 on the shelf like it was no big thing. Bet they are hard to find now. Why aren’t these used in broncos? Too long? Too close ratio?

mrdrnac

Contributor
Great History lesion on the early Drag Days and the 60's remember them well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why aren’t these used in broncos? Too long? Too close ratio?
from my standpoint at least, I think there are three reasons.
One is that they didn’t have a low first gear.
Back then we were looking at primarily truck transmissions for going off road.

Two, they didn’t have an appropriate tail shaft or rear housing for bolting to a transfer case.
Nobody made an adapter at the time, and it wasn’t something the typical bronco owner could do in their garage.

And three, they were darn expensive!
And quite frankly, through the 80s and 90s and even into the 2000s, most bronco owners were cheap.
We were mostly on tight budgets and not spending a lot of money on our Broncos. Thrifty was the name of the game.

So at least that’s how I see it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I remember correctly, after Richmond took over and way late to the game, you could get some first gear ratios in the 4.2 to 4.5 range.
That might not have been the granny low we were looking for, but it was lower than it ever had been, and lower than most other car transmissions at the time.
But by then, it was too little and too late.
We were looking for other options by then.