• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MSD ready-to-run Distributor wiring

fuentesfranko

I've had ignition problems for a while, so I decided to ditch the Duraspark ignition and go with the MSD 8352 ready-to-run distributor, and the MSD Ignition Blaster 2 coil.
I was scared to do the install myself but after watching several videos, I decided to give it a shot.
I am pretty much done except for connecting a 12V ignition source to the coil's positive side.
My question is, do I need to run a wire from the ignition switch? Would a wire that's already in the engine bay work since I had the duraspark? if so, which one?
Would a wire coming from the starter solenoid work? (I'm so lost, I have a feeling that's the worst idea)

NOTE: I have a fresh Painless wiring harness along with the Painless Duraspark Harness. ( I have no balast)

I'm very lost with this last step and any help would be appreciated.
1976 Bronco Automatic 302

RXojSAN.jpg

8rUWd0P.jpg

A8kHlRl.jpg

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I had an MSD run ready on my 77 bronco Lost a circuit board in the bottom of the distributor and that was it for me back to Duraspark 2

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
Would a wire that's already in the engine bay work since I had the duraspark? if so, which one?

Does the Painless harness have a wire labeled IGN or IGNITION? That's the one to use has it should have 12V in the start and run key positions.

My Centech harness has a wire labeled IGN and that's the wire I've used in every ignition system I have run, including the MSD 8352 you just installed.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
As gr8 mentioned the Painless Harness has the wiring for your RTR distributor and they're labeled. I've been using the RTR for quite awhile on 2 different Broncos and haven't had any issues.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Following the Ford wiring colors, the wire you’re looking for is Red with a green stripe.

Don’t use just any other wire, because most wires you find are hot in 0N and hot and ACC as well.
You want wires that are hot in ON only.

You don’t really need the brown wire from the starter relay/solenoid anymore.
You can use it if you choose to, sort of as a back up, but for now, you could leave it off to see how things work.

OP
OP
F

fuentesfranko

Following the Ford wiring colors, the wire you’re looking for is Red with a green stripe.

Don’t use just any other wire, because most wires you find are hot in 0N and hot and ACC as well.
You want wires that are hot in ON only.

You don’t really need the brown wire from the starter relay/solenoid anymore.
You can use it if you choose to, sort of as a back up, but for now, you could leave it off to see how things work.
Thank you for the advise @DirtDonk I will look for that Red and Green stripe wire.
So the brown wire that goes to "i" no the starter solenoid is now redundant? So ideally there should be nothing going to that post?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, and no.
In other words, not necessarily… 🙄
The brown wire does become redundant for enhancing spark while the starter is cranking.
However, in the distant future, it would act as a back up in case the ignition switch partially fails.

We’ve seen that before, where the ignition switch sends power to the ignition while in the ON position, but while in the START position the power to the ignition falls off.
When that happens, this once redundant brown wire will act as a feed to the ignition. Keeping things running.

So yes, you can eliminate it completely if you want. But someday in the future, it might come in handy.
So at this stage, it’s entirely up to you.

OP
OP
F

fuentesfranko

Yes, and no.
In other words, not necessarily… 🙄
The brown wire does become redundant for enhancing spark while the starter is cranking.
However, in the distant future, it would act as a back up in case the ignition switch partially fails.

We’ve seen that before, where the ignition switch sends power to the ignition while in the ON position, but while in the START position the power to the ignition falls off.
When that happens, this once redundant brown wire will act as a feed to the ignition. Keeping things running.

So yes, you can eliminate it completely if you want. But someday in the future, it might come in handy.
So at this stage, it’s entirely up to you.
We got spark! Thank you for your help. Bronco is not running though I think I didn't install the distributor at TDC. It wants to start but it won't stay running. Gonna try installing it again. Happy to know at least I'm on the right path .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s great! Did you find something specific? Maybe a wire not connected or component missing?

OP
OP
F

fuentesfranko

That’s great! Did you find something specific? Maybe a wire not connected or component missing?
When I removed the Duraspark harness I found the red and green wire and then I just rerouted it so it would come out from the middle hole on the firewall.