• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Body Alignment Help

Muddy

Loc.
Georgia
Okay, I may be screwed. But, I know that with all the experience on this forum I should hopefully be able to get through it.
Here is the back story:
I was in the process of removing / replacing my floor pans when I found out that the cross member was completely rotted through. To add to the problem both inner and outer rockers, were also toast. So, before any work I measured my door openings and welded a brace across the top. I really didn’t have anything to weld the brace to at the bottom of the door and I also was going to be working exactly where it needed to be so I didn’t brace the bottom. I know, I know it was stupid.
Now I am paying for my stupidity. The top opening is good but the bottom is a half inch wider! The rocker isn’t even close to fitting correctly.
Is it possible to correct this on the frame? If so HOW?? I am at a loss.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Post up some pics that would be a good start, with measurements if possible, then I'm sure some of the body gurus here will throw out some suggestions. Yes I'm sure it can be fixed on the frame thats the way it should be. When you say wider I assume you mean front to back, if so you may have to just undo what you have done and proceed from there. Don't hold me to this because I'm not sure what you have there. Pics will do wonders.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Get some chain and a turn buckle and hook it from the lower hing bolt of the front doo jamb and hook the other end to the seat belt bolt where the retractor was mounted turn in the turn buckle to close the gap. It may be very wise to replace the body mounts and level the frame. before you go much further. The door opening and its squarness to the rear body tub is the most critical, get this off and you cant move stuff enough to fix it. There are some very good dimensional pictures on this site.

OP
OP
Muddy

Muddy

Loc.
Georgia
Thanks for the input y'all. Yes, its 39.25" at the top of the door opening from front to back and 39.75" at the bottom. This means the replacement rocker is .50" short. I thought of using a turnbuckle but was worried that with my luck it would rip out the jamb. I think I am going to proceed doing that anyway. I have replaced the body bushings as of last night because I thought that would give me a good foundation to work off of. What a nightmare they are to replace.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the input y'all. Yes, its 39.25" at the top of the door opening from front to back and 39.75" at the bottom. This means the replacement rocker is .50" short.

I had the same problem!
I think you mean .50" too long? I know from personal experience that some of the rockers (the cheap ones) need to be tweeked a little to get the proper measurements. Did you get the cheap replacements or the more expensive OEM Ford die struck ones?