• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NEED help. New High torq mini starter 1970 bronco 302

icyBronco

MY old starter finally gave after making whining noises for a week.

so i bought one of those fancy high tork mini ones. only problem is:

1) i'm not that mechanically inclind (shade tree)

2) The old starter only had 1 wire going to it, the thick black one. and this new starter has a small butt connector ignition terminal.

can someone explain how i'm supposed to wire this?
the instructions says to take the ignition wire, and crimp it to the butt plug

I took these pics for reference:

old
4NDLYIz.jpg

new starter, and old fender solinod, which one is the ignition wire?
06t4YS5.jpg

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
Here's one way thats pretty easy.

Move the large black wire over to the +post which you have labeled as #3. That's the battery side of the solenoid. Install the other end of that black wire on the post of the starter. Next run a new 12 gauge wire from that butt connector to the side of the solenoid you just removed the heavy black cable from. That's it! Make sure you have the correct starter for your transmission. Manual vs auto take different starters.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Here's one way thats pretty easy.

Move the large black wire over to the +post which you have labeled as #3. That's the battery side of the solenoid. Install the other end of that black wire on the post of the starter. Next run a new 12 gauge wire from that butt connector to the side of the solenoid you just removed the heavy black cable from. That's it! Make sure you have the correct starter for your transmission. Manual vs auto take different starters.

That's how I wired up my Denso starter.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Chuck at BC has a nice tech article on this. If your like me pictures help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did the kit come with a pre-made extension wire to hook between the fender mounted solenoid/relay and the new starter solenoid's plug?

Paul

OP
OP
I

icyBronco

got my bronco started again via the method Worker Bee suggested. Thank u all.

OP
OP
I

icyBronco

Did the kit come with a pre-made extension wire to hook between the fender mounted solenoid/relay and the new starter solenoid's plug?

Paul

negatory. I have to maked the new wire. Which I had some 12 guage laying around and some simple connectors.

CJ74BRONCO

I just replace my starter with a new mini torq. I replaces the battery cables with a wild horse kit at the same time. With the wild horse kit the black cable from the starter is now red. The problem is the first time I went to start it nothing turned over. I replaced the starter relay and it turned over and ran great. Next day nothing again. I thought maybe the relay could have been defective and replaced it again. Turn over great but the next day again nothing. What is frying my relay?

Thanks,
Cory

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I just replace my starter with a new mini torq. I replaces the battery cables with a wild horse kit at the same time. With the wild horse kit the black cable from the starter is now red. The problem is the first time I went to start it nothing turned over. I replaced the starter relay and it turned over and ran great. Next day nothing again. I thought maybe the relay could have been defective and replaced it again. Turn over great but the next day again nothing. What is frying my relay?

Thanks,
Cory

How do you have it wired? Pics would be a big help.

CJ74BRONCO

Attached is a picture. On the positive side is the battery cable and large cable to the strater plus 2 small wires that come out of the wiring harness. On the left side is the small wire that runs to the new starter.

Thanks,
Cory

Attachments

• DSC04128_C.jpg
    DSC04128_C.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 101

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Attached is a picture. On the positive side is the battery cable and large cable to the strater plus 2 small wires that come out of the wiring harness. On the left side is the small wire that runs to the new starter.

Thanks,
Cory

Looks ok. Just make sure the solenoid has a good ground where it's mounted and the cables can't short to ground.