• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Help with VIN/Year

TheForeverProject

New to the forum, I have done a lot of research and I believe it is a 74 but I have a title for the Bronco that shows it as a 68 with the same VIN. Any help would be appreciated. From my research the U153 was even an option til 73or 74. And the build serial comes back to 74’

U15GLU86225

Color: Z, Type: 153, Body: C4, Trans: G, Axle: 18J

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
It's a 74' built in July 74'. That's a medium duty 9" that was available in 74/75. C4 is Ginger Ranger interior, 18J is 3.50 gears and power steering. Does the vin on the title match the frame vin or glovebox vin or both?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have a title for the Bronco that shows it as a 68 with the same VIN

Many DMVs have no idea what to do with old school VINs that don't conform to the modern requirements. The independent DMV consultant I use to get titles when I buy classic vehicles from out of state tells me he could put just about anything on his paperwork and the DMV would simply issue a title. I've seen a 1972 Ford G100 van titled as a 1965 before with a completely made up VIN on the paperwork. Clearly no one knew what they had or where to find the VIN so they just made a best guess.

OP
OP
T

TheForeverProject

It's a 74' built in July 74'. That's a medium duty 9" that was available in 74/75. C4 is Ginger Ranger interior, 18J is 3.50 gears and power steering. Does the vin on the title match the frame vin or glovebox vin or both?
I’ll have to check on the glovebox but it definitely matches the frame vin tag, I got this as a project that a gentleman who passed had been working on for 20 years and I got the title and frame tag together. Am I correct to assume this is Ranger trim or would I need to order the Marti report to figure out? Thanks for the help.
sorry I meant I had the warranty tag, but I just went and confirmed it matched the frame vin behind the passenger side shock mount.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I’ll have to check on the glovebox but it definitely matches the frame vin tag, I got this as a project that a gentleman who passed had been working on for 20 years and I got the title and frame tag together. Am I correct to assume this is Ranger trim or would I need to order the Marti report to figure out? Thanks for the help.
I think it's safe to say that with the Ranger interior trim code that it's a Ranger.

Todd Z.