• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need opinions on my 72

Rdubb12

I’m new to the forum and have just purchased a 72. I’ve ordered a family roll cage and curious about paint vs powder coat. I’m thinking it would look best to try and match the paint but I’m not sure if powder coating can match a paint color? Any one have any knowledge here? 72 Bronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
They can scan and match the paint color either way. For what it's worth, I rattle canned mine about 5 years ago and still looks perfect.

SouthPaw74

Contributor
Loc.
South Florida
Powder coated mine satin black. Would match your interior very well. In my opinion, the powder coating is more durable. And welcome to the EB club!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome to Welcome to classicbroncos.com!
And if you’re 72 happens to have a “P“ or a “Q“ in the sixth digit position of your VIN, pop over to the “mind your Ps & Qs“ thread, and add your information.
I’ll have to double check, but I think it’s been talked about so recently it’s probably right here on the first page of chat.

Paul

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Welcome, I have done a satin powder coat and used paint... SEM "Trim black" can be rattle canned or bought in a quart to spray. And as stated, it is easy to do touch ups.

NJBronk

Contributor
I really wanted to powder coat mine but the cost and the annoyance of getting the cage to/from a place that had an oven big enough led me to try the rattle can method. I did VHT satin chassis and roll bar paint and think it came out really well. I even had my 7- and 9-year-old boys help with the prep and painting so it's another project that they're invested in on the bronco. As others have mentioned, I can easily touch it up if needed.

As with anything, the prep work is the most important part - it took a while to sand, clean, and tack cloth the whole thing and I went through maybe 6-7 cans painting it. I screwed the four legs onto 2x4's and then mounted those on dollies so that I could roll the whole thing in and out of the garage when the weather was good for painting.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have rattle canned the two I have done. Both came out looking great and held up well. Yes not as durable as Powder Coat but a hell of a lot cheaper and easy to touch up.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I’m new to the forum and have just purchased a 72. I’ve ordered a family roll cage and curious about paint vs powder coat. I’m thinking it would look best to try and match the paint but I’m not sure if powder coating can match a paint color? Any one have any knowledge here? 72 Bronco
Unfortunately, you are doing it backwards. Powder is definitely more durable and as long as it is UV stabilized...it will look great for years. But as you have figured out, getting the correct color blend for powder is a time consuming and iterative process. You will need to do several rounds with your powder supplier to get exactly the right color that you want. It is definitely something that can be done, but it requires patience. And of course powder looks different after it is baked.

Normally, people will do it the other way. If you can source a powder that is really close to the color that you want...and then you can paint your Bronco to match. Any decent paint supplier can blend a base tint with a computer match to your powder.

If you can't get a perfect match with your powder, then don't try. Nothing looks worse than an "almost matching" paint job.

OP
OP
Rdubb12

Rdubb12

Unfortunately, you are doing it backwards. Powder is definitely more durable and as long as it is UV stabilized...it will look great for years. But as you have figured out, getting the correct color blend for powder is a time consuming and iterative process. You will need to do several rounds with your powder supplier to get exactly the right color that you want. It is definitely something that can be done, but it requires patience. And of course powder looks different after it is baked.

Normally, people will do it the other way. If you can source a powder that is really close to the color that you want...and then you can paint your Bronco to match. Any decent paint supplier can blend a base tint with a computer match to your powder.

If you can't get a perfect match with your powder, then don't try. Nothing looks worse than an "almost matching" paint job.
What about painting vs powder?

Jakedog

I used Rust-Oleum truck bed coating. It's a rattle can, and it last a long time.
It has a no slip texture to it which I like. If you're like me and you grab the roll bar when getting in, it's nice to not have your hand slip off if you're sweaty or the bar is dusty or wet.

It's worth trying a can of it to see if you like it. Nice durable finish.

mebco09

I base/cleared mine on both my Willys and Bronco. I think powder would be a hassle.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

I wouldn't paint match.. White or like a silver vein grey would look good