• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need some "don't forget to" and "whatever you do.." for replacing inner seals on D30

red71sport

Loc.
Knoxville, Tennessee
need some "don't forget to" and "whatever you do.." for replacing inner seals on D30

Replacing the inner seals on the 69 (Dana 30). I think I have all the basics covered. Remove hubs, spindles, axles (thoughts on U joint replacement while I have the axles out?) However, when it comes to removing the diff. I am a little shaky. I remove the front cover, I assume there will be bearing caps staring me in the face. Remove them (don't get them mixed up) then what? will the whole ring gear assembly come out? Will it come out easy or will I have to pry it out? Will it come out in 20 pieces? I have no idea what to expect after I remove the bearing caps.

thanks

-jim-

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I was able to buy an outer seal from Advance. This is not factory I have been told but my '68 with a D30 had them. All I needed to do was remove the drum and knuckle and then slide the axle out. I did not need to take off the diff cover or remove any of the guts. The seal taps in. Slide axle back in, install knuckle and brakes. Done.

It has not leaked and I have driven it in some snow and crap up to the axle.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
big pry bar itll come out by itself more a pain than hard

OP
OP
red71sport

red71sport

Loc.
Knoxville, Tennessee
I was able to buy an outer seal from Advance. This is not factory I have been told but my '68 with a D30 had them. All I needed to do was remove the drum and knuckle and then slide the axle out. I did not need to take off the diff cover or remove any of the guts. The seal taps in. Slide axle back in, install knuckle and brakes. Done.

It has not leaked and I have driven it in some snow and crap up to the axle.

changing the outer seal is easy. It's the inner the I need to replace. The outer seals are to keep stuff out, not it. You shouldn't have diff fluid in your tube, thus the inner seals.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
Unless you have the special install tool buy an extra seal as you will probably fubar at least one of them up. Not much room to work with.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Special tool = 3'' of 1 1/2'' pvc pipe.

JKH67302

Contributor
I am getting ready to do the same thing. Does the center section need to be lined up or keyed to a spec when re-installing?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The outer seal seams to do a fine job of keeping the lube in the axle. Why not just replace the outer? Evey other rear axle I have ever seen uses this method.

OP
OP
red71sport

red71sport

Loc.
Knoxville, Tennessee
The outer seal seams to do a fine job of keeping the lube in the axle. Why not just replace the outer? Evey other rear axle I have ever seen uses this method.

On a front end, you are not supposed to have fluid in the tubes passed the carrier. Your tubes get all kinds of crap in there. if you fluid can "run" back and forth, it will bring all that trash into your chunk. Gears don't like trash splashing around everywhere. What you are talking about will keep diff. fluid off of your garage floor, but it's not the correct way to address the problem (IMO) and very well could damage your gear set. But hey look at the up side. When you replace your ring and pinion, and/or your spiders you can change your inner seals then 'cause you will be right there :)

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Special tool = 3'' of 1 1/2'' pvc pipe.
Never tried that one. Thanks Bax.
Here's how I do it.
Mark bearing caps if you don't see factory marks. Loosen but leave a few threads in on the bolts.
Put a rag on the ring gear and turn the pinion until the rag pushes the carrier out a bit.
Take out the bolts and carrier.
Take a long piece of tube or rod and push-tap the seals out.
Clean out the inner tubes! You don't want to push dirt and mud into the diff when you install the axle shafts.
use a small hammer side ways to tap the new seals in.
Use a decent size mallet to tap the carrier in. It should be tight going in. It will mesh with the pinion gear as you tap it in.
Torque the carrier bolts.

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
Be ready for the weight when the carrier comes out, sometimes there pretty tight in there and you really need to pry on the top and bottom, then POP, it'll want to slide out on the ground all at once and land on your unsuspecting shin, hand, elbow, etc. It's a heavy sob, esspecially once it just fell a foot or more. Ask me how I know......