• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New noise upon start up

ksbronco75

Contributor
In the processing of essentially breaking in my bronco. After 5-10 years of putting stuff on and chasing gremlins I’m getting closer to less gremlins. But last weekend a new one popped up. When I turn the engine on it sounds like a bearing is going out on something. My assumption is something with a pulley ad it sounds like it’s in rotation. Kind of a light squeaking wheel noise. It changes speeds as the rpms change. So I’m thinking P/s pump, alternator maybe? I feel it favors the drivers side, but the more I listen I honestly don’t know. Any ideas what it could be or how I could check them without straight replacing them?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you have as mechanic's stethoscope? They can come in handy when trying to find the location of something like an errant squeak.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
take off on belt and test it when the squeak goes away you will find where the problem lies. if you have any idler pulleys suspect them first.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Sometimes spray on " belt dressing " stops the noise but it also can help locate a worn pulley or belt.

OP
OP
ksbronco75

ksbronco75

Contributor
I’ve never had a good ear for the stethoscope. I’ve been under it a few different times this morning and it seems like drivers side but hell I honestly can’t tell. Took off alternator belt, wasn’t that. P/s has a ac condenser on it as well so I haven’t gotten that off yet. Chasing new gremlins every time something else gets fixed it quite annoying