• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

oil leaks: need help prioritizing...

OhSnap

Loc.
Denver, CO
My new Bronco has been leaking oil, and after bringing it in to High Country 4x4 I get the list of where it's leaking:
* Both Valve Covers
* Front Intake
* Distributor O-rings
* Front Crankshaft seal

The guy I talked to recommends fixing the valve covers and Front intake first, as that's where the most of the leakage is occurring.

I'm can work on these things myself if I have good direction and stuff that doesn't require any special equipment. Are any of these relatively easy to fix? I'd like to do whatever I can on my own. What do you recommend I leave to the shop?

Thanks!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nothing, you can do them all.

I doubt your leaking oil out the dizzy oring, same for intake, if your intake or dizzy oring is leaking it sucks it in,not out.

I would do the valve covers and clean the motor up then see where it comes from.

You can do the front seal yourself with common hand tools.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
All pretty simple and I agree do the valve cover seals first. Might want to check the torque on the intake bolts and valve cover bolts somethines they are just a little loose and cause leaks because of being loose. But before that I would steam clean the engine to remove as much old oil/dirt as possible. Then after the valve covers are done you can determine what is still leaking.
Fornt seal is fairly easy but I believe you will have to pull the front cover off unless you have one of the newer updated front covers. About the only specail tool needed is a harmonic balancer puller. Since the front cover may have to come off if your engine has over 80,000 miles on it I would suggest installing a new timing set.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The biggest offenders are the valve covers and intake end seals. Both pretty easy. Clean it up first and make sure your PCV system is working. If it is leaking out of the distributor hole, you have crankcase pressure.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
is there a resource here for resealing the valve covers? Thanks!

Yeah, get high quality replacement valve cover gaskets and some silicone gasket sealant. Remove the valve covers and clean everything real good. Put silicone on both sides of the gasket and install the valve cover with the new gasket.

Most importantly, DO NOT overtighten the valve cover bolts. That causes many leaks as it bends the valve cover lip where it seals. I'm sure someone can chime in with the correct torque spec, but I'm guessing it's no more than 15 ft-lbs or something low like that.

dualsport

Loc.
Northern Nevada
Use Right Stuff sealant for the intake and to help seal the valve covers, etc. I used it on my engine when I had it out for a reseal, and I have no leaks anymore.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I personally have never used any silicone sealer on any valve cover and have rarely if ever had one leak. I only use the gasket dry, that way you can take the valve covers off (for whatever reason) and you can reuse the gasket, usually several times. The only time I would use sealer there would be a dab or two between the gasket and the valve cover to help hold the gasket in place.

It's really pretty dead simple.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If its the cork type gasket they are supposed to be installed dry as they are made to absorb a little oil and expand to help seal better. If you use any RTV on them I would only do it on one side.

Doesnt anyone have repair manuals any more? It seems like people ask about the simplest jobs not that its a bad thing to ask questions its just a repair manual will answer most this easy stuff and give you referance for the harder stuff.

lonicus

Loc.
Costa Mesa
If its the cork type gasket they are supposed to be installed dry as they are made to absorb a little oil and expand to help seal better. If you use any RTV on them I would only do it on one side.

Doesnt anyone have repair manuals any more? It seems like people ask about the simplest jobs not that its a bad thing to ask questions its just a repair manual will answer most this easy stuff and give you referance for the harder stuff.

Welcome to the age of technology & information where it's easier to ask a question then to look up an answer. I am guilty of it too..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Like I said nothing wrong with asking but a repair manual would answer a lot of these simple questions. Not trying to offend anyone but some of these questions are way to simple to be asking. Its kinda like asking which way do I wipe?
I've worked on all kinds of different vehciles and theres nothing better than having the book. I like having the book of knowlege in front of me. It can save a lot of time instead of having to run back into look at the computer. I guess I'm just old.

OP
OP
OhSnap

OhSnap

Loc.
Denver, CO
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-VS13264T/

Pricey but they work well.

I agree with getting a repair manual before you get yourself in too deep. No offence, but if you’re not sure if you can change valve cover gaskets, then you need to find a friend to give you a hand before going much further.

No offense taken, I have installed lifts kits, replaced a radiator, installed new pipes, thermostat, etc. So I do have some experience. It's not like I've never opened the hood.

I was just taken aback when the auto shop quoted me $500 bucks to do it. So I was thinking, is there something really difficult that I don't know about here?

Anyway, I usually invite my dad to help, he loves this kind of stuff and is more detailed than I am. I'm going to order those gaskets. Thanks for the recommendation.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I use good quality cork gaskets. They work fine and can be reused if you put them on right. Gaskesinch them to the cover and oil the other side. Don't overtighten. You can always go back and retighten if you need to.

freeheelbillie

Loc.
Denver
Fel Pro makes nice Non-Crushable, silicone gaskets that don’t require any sealant. It’s just personal preference but I like not using sealant as it makes removal easier down the road and having the non-crushable washer sure makes it (almost) full proof. Just be sure to take the extra time and really get every last little flake of old cork off both surfaces. I replaced mine a about two months ago and it hasn’t dripped a drop since then. ;D