• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil pump drive shaft length

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Can anyone tell me the standard length of the oil pump drive shaft and clip position for a 302?
Installing a new pump and drive shaft and having trouble getting the clip in the proper place to function as it should and have good fitment with the distributor.

My new drive shaft is 7 1/2”. Is this a common length or are there different ones out there?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Can anyone tell me the standard length of the oil pump drive shaft and clip position for a 302?
Installing a new pump and drive shaft and having trouble getting the clip in the proper place to function as it should and have good fitment with the distributor.

My new drive shaft is 7 1/2”. Is this a common length or are there different ones out there?
The spec for the oil pump driveshaft is 7.45 inches. ARP makes a very nice one, and they only make 1 for the 302.

The clip doesn't do anything except prevent the shaft from falling out when the engine is upside down and the distributor isn't there yet. It sits on the distributor end, and goes under the boss in the block. If you have an umbrella style clip, it should point down.

The clip will also prevent the shaft from sticking in the distributor during removal, but we all know that it is not 100% effective for that.

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Thanks for the reply. Good to know there is only 1 spec out there.
Got my issue resolved. Just had to turn the crank about a 1/4 turn and the dist dropped into place. I was way overthinking the problem.
My block and intake manifold have mismatched years of production. So I was imagining all sorts of scenarios that POs may have “modified” from the previous oil pump.