• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ok I'm lost, No Spark at all, ran yesterday!!!

66broncnut

Loc.
St. Robert, Missouri
Ok, my 66 has an electrical issue I can't find, it has a 302 with an Accel Points eliminator kit. During a stereo intall while routing the new antenna wire I apparently damaged a connector on the back of the instrument cluster, black and yellow wire I believe going to ammeter, anyway yesterday after the stereo install I had nothing, absolutely nothing, after some tracking I determined that if I wiggled the harness under the dash power would come back and she would start, but naturally the natural vibration would cause it to lose connection and die, wiggle again same thing, then out of the blue it would turn over but has no spark at all, I repaired the damaged connector and now have constant power but still no spark, and Now for the question: Any ideas as to what the heck I shorted out, I have already replaced the ignition switch and coil, but no changes.

HELP PLEASE

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That large black-yellow wire is part of the ammeter loop and carrie all the current between the battery and alternator.

Check for 12V at the positive side of the coil with the key ON. If you don't have it start looking under the dash where you connected the stereo. Likely you have a damaged ignition resistor wire.

OP
OP
66broncnut

66broncnut

Loc.
St. Robert, Missouri
I don't have volts at coil, I bypassed my resistor wire to see if it would run and still nothing, with the bypass I do have 12v at the coil

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's normal to get hot.

Check for 12V at the ignition switch. See the connector diagram below.

Attachments

• ignition sw 2.jpg
    ignition sw 2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
66broncnut

66broncnut

Loc.
St. Robert, Missouri
I have 12v at switch, when I hook the resistor wire up I don't have 12v at the coil, I ran a wire from the ign terminal on the switch directly to the positive side of the coil and have 12v at the coil but still no spark, is it possible that I shorted the control module in the distributor while I had the failing connection, truck was running fine, I walked away while it was idling, came back, reached into floorboard to tap accelerator and CLICK she died like I turned the key and since then absolutely no spark

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Likely the module is bad. Go to the Accel website and look at the troubleshooting steps.

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
Check the Accel module. May have fried it. I've had to replace mine twice because of electrical issues frying it out. Found out my prob was a bad voltage regulator sending massive surges of juice through my ignition system.