• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

overdrive (smaller) PS pump saginaw pulley

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Ok, I have hit a road block in switching over to a Saginaw PS pump. I am running a Mustang 5.0 and front dress. I have a new to me Tom's Saginaw pump (it came with a v-belt pulley). I pulled that off and tried to install the mustang pulley and no go... the Mustang shaft is smaller. the Saginaw pump has a .750 shaft diameter.

This bronco predominantly sees about 500 miles per year on the road with 4-5 off-road trips per year. 37" tires are not fun turning when the pump can't keep up at idle on the rocks so.... I am hoping an under drive pulley will help while I plan for a ram

So another member JohnJohn mentioned that WH had an under drive (smaller than the 5.8' factory one). I called WH yesterday and they no longer sell the smaller pulley. .

Then I called Toms', they do not sell a Serp pulley at all.

BC sells a 5.8" pulley

I called PSC and they have a 5" pulley with a .750 shaft but it is for a LS 5.0 (link:https://www.pscmotorsports.com/moto...nents/pulleys/n-pump-pulleys/psc-pp3508l.html)

Many thanks for suggestions, options and solutions....

BTW... for reference in the future for others here are also some viable options for a v-belt and 5.8" pulley from several years ago.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93184&highlight=saginaw+pulley+part

Jason

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I recommend modifying your outlet flow orifice before decreasing pulley diameter. Decreasing pulley diameter will noticeably increase fluid temp when going down the freeway to temp you may not be happy with due to increased higher RPM pump rpm.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/2013/powersteeringmods/

Haha, I just posted that same link in another thread. I currently do not have a pulley at all. So I am searching for the right one in hopes of only doing this belt and pulley once.

The porting or the orifice is done. I just need a pulley. Also, if you read the thread in the link above you and nvrstuk ported / drilled larger than what is recommended in the gmtruckcentral link so now I am wondering if I should go to .188 and or .203 over the 5/32 (.15625)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
4cyl Jeep YJ's had a small pulley on a saginaw pump. not sure the centerline but I've used a bunch of them over the years speeding up pumps or just fitting it in a small space.

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
4cyl Jeep YJ's had a small pulley on a saginaw pump. not sure the centerline but I've used a bunch of them over the years speeding up pumps or just fitting it in a small space.
Good to know. You wouldn't have one in the garage anywhere would you? For measuring purposes only of course.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

68ford

Bronco Guru
Haha, I just posted that same link in another thread. I currently do not have a pulley at all. So I am searching for the right one in hopes of only doing this belt and pulley once.

The porting or the orifice is done. I just need a pulley. Also, if you read the thread in the link above you and nvrstuk ported / drilled larger than what is recommended in the gmtruckcentral link so now I am wondering if I should go to .188 and or .203 over the 5/32 (.15625)
I drilled mine .203 and improvements were all positive aside from little more heat. It helped at low RPM the most. Would like to add a number 4 washer and increase the pressure and see how that feels.

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I drilled mine .203 and improvements were all positive aside from little more heat. It helped at low RPM the most. Would like to add a number 4 washer and increase the pressure and see how that feels.
I will try to follow both posts to see the progress if you do.

Thanks

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I just spoke to Chris at Jones Racing and they may have what I am looking for. Super nice and very helpful (helps that they are also semi local).

In the event anyone else needs a variation of pulley sizes I have posted a link to their catalog below. The can bore the shafts ($25.00 Bore charge) to accommodate any size shaft... (no comments....lol).

http://www.jonesracingproducts.com/2020CatHTML5/mobile/index.html#p=28

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
thanks! its good to have another option. I've never been super happy with any of the steering companies, their products are hit or miss and customer service leaves something to be desired. always feels like picking the lessor of the evils... they have what I need so here we go.

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
thanks! its good to have another option. I've never been super happy with any of the steering companies, their products are hit or miss and customer service leaves something to be desired. always feels like picking the lessor of the evils... they have what I need so here we go.

for sure. I prefer dealing with the Bronco vendors but in this case they just don't have what I am looking for.

I did spend a good amount of time with Dorman today and they suggested this part number 300-137, I just ordered it and hope to get it on by Friday. I will post and let everyone know.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-300-137

Spec's:
Power Steering Pump Style:GM Type 2
Pulley Style:Serpentine
Power Steering Pulley Grooves:6-groove, serpentine
Underdrive:No
Overdrive:No
Power Steering Pulley Attachment:press fit
Power Steering Pulley Bore Diameter (in):0.748 in.
Hardware Included:No
Outside Diameter (in):5.224 in.
Pulley Finish:Black
Pulley Material:Steel

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Thanks for posting up the info on the company that can bore out whatever diameter shaft we need... Good find for sure!

I do not have the receipt with the part # of the 4.5" pulley that Josh sold me- just says 4.5". I can call Josh and ask??

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Thanks for posting up the info on the company that can bore out whatever diameter shaft we need... Good find for sure!

I do not have the receipt with the part # of the 4.5" pulley that Josh sold me- just says 4.5". I can call Josh and ask??
My 5.25" pulley showed up today. The lip is .200 so right at a 5" pulley for $30. I'll definitely give this one a shot.

More to come.... thanks guys

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
So a few prep / pulley pictures of the Dorman (part # 300-137) 5.25" pulley mounted to a Saginaw PS pump with the WH 5.0 Fox boy mustang bracket.

The third picture is of the Ford Motorsports A/C delete bracket.

Now I just need to mount it and hope everything lines up.
72e1ad5f3a29492470dd21b711fa8ac3.jpg
7e70b63eea0caee2a70171a1be75bc74.jpg
7e7c2ae5c84c5ecd9dad290ad49c7ce9.jpg