• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting (final color) over POR-15

bbfarms

Loc.
Maybee (48159)
Painted my 69's frame with POR-15, the black color is fine. However thinking about using it under the hood (iner fenders, ect) but possibly might want to paint them the same color as the exterior. Anyone done this? Using the POR-15 because of the rust, very happy with the finish on the frame thus far. If it came down to a choice,, I would choose rust provention / protection over the cosmetic. Bronco is not going to any car shows in the future....will be weekend driver.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Painted my 69's frame with POR-15, the black color is fine. However thinking about using it under the hood (iner fenders, ect) but possibly might want to paint them the same color as the exterior. Anyone done this? Using the POR-15 because of the rust, very happy with the finish on the frame thus far. If it came down to a choice,, I would choose rust provention / protection over the cosmetic. Bronco is not going to any car shows in the future....will be weekend driver.
I've done it with primer and it would also work with sealer. If I were to do it this is how I would do it....

1)Apply the POR-15 and just when it's about dry (if you touch it and you barely see a finger print) It takes a few hours to get it like that. Then apply a rather dry coat of sealer.

2) Let that set for 5-10 minutes then apply a wet coat of sealer.

3) Let that set for 45 minutes to let the POR-15 and sealer flash/dry.

4)Then apply paint (no need to sand or scuff the sealer) let the paint flash then clear it.

Something to think about painting the engine bay... The first time I painted my Bronco I painted the engine compartment and under the hood body color. A few years later I then decided to change colors. I wish I painted the engine bay black the first time. A black engine bay goes with all colors and hides grease/oil and is easy (for me anyway) to change the body color in the future.