• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paul WH axle help (passenger side)

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Hey Paul, my 74 looks like it needs a new axle on the passenger side, the seal surface is pretty worn. I pulled the axle and its 28 splined, the brake size are 11 inch and shoes are 1 .75 wide. the inner seal is a national 51098 and the bearing number is 88128-2RS. I 'M NOT SURE HOW TO MEASURE THE LENGTH? from outer bearing to end of axle or back of flange to end of axle. I just want to order the wright one from WH.
Thanks Dave

Attachments

• DSCN2565.jpg
    DSCN2565.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2568.jpg
    DSCN2568.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN2569.jpg
    DSCN2569.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 31

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have a standard large bearing setup with large brakes (confirmed with the seal and bearing numbers, thank you very much);D. You need axle shaft #8654 (https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...r_Lg_Bearing_11in_Drum_Right/bronco_rear_axle) comes with bearing already installed.

Inner seal #8634 listed lower down that page, sold separately.

Unless something has been changed over the years, this should be a direct bolt-in operation and the bolt pattern on the brake backing plate and axle housing end sould match the new retainer.
But to be sure, maybe take a quick measurement of your 4-bolt pattern there in the center just outside the bearing.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By the way... How deep is the groove in the axle's seal surface? If not too deep they can be smoothed down some, and the new seal can even be set in at a slightly different depth so that it rides on a non-marred part of the shaft.

There are also redi-sleeves, but I'd rather pay for a new axle than try to install another one of those things! But at least it's sometimes an option.
Again to the depth of the groove though, too deep and it's weakening the axle so you don't want to hide it with a sleeve anyway.
Besides, if you're using this rig hard and going off-road, a new stronger axle ain't such a bad thing.

Good luck.
Oh, and I'll get you the measurements in a bit. Have to run, but when I come back I'll look at the numbers. Different companies use different points near the bearing and flange to get the overall axle measurement specs.

But the bottom line is you don't really need the measurements, since it seems to be a pretty straightforward order.
Famous last words....!;)%)

Paul

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
You have a standard large bearing setup with large brakes (confirmed with the seal and bearing numbers, thank you very much);D. You need axle shaft #8654 (https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...r_Lg_Bearing_11in_Drum_Right/bronco_rear_axle) comes with bearing already installed.

Inner seal #8634 listed lower down that page, sold separately.

Unless something has been changed over the years, this should be a direct bolt-in operation and the bolt pattern on the brake backing plate and axle housing end sould match the new retainer.
But to be sure, maybe take a quick measurement of your 4-bolt pattern there in the center just outside the bearing.

Paul
Hey Paul, I measured the bearing and it's 3 1/8 inch and here are some pics of the flange, from center hole to center hole. What through me was the seal, on Tom's sit that seal number says it's for small bearing, but by the measurements of my bearing it's a 3 1/8 bearing and not the 2 7/8 bearing.

Attachments

• DSCN2573.jpg
    DSCN2573.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN2572.jpg
    DSCN2572.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 17

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, if it's just over 3 inches it's a large bearing. If it's just under 3 inches it's a small bearing.
Interesting about the seal. I have the bearings memorized, but not the seal numbers so would not have thought to question the part number. I wonder if the OD is the same for both and someone just put a small seal over a large axle. Would certainly explain the damage to the seal and axle.
Not that they don't damage themselves all on their own for lack of lubrication, but it would certainly make it a quicker process if the seal was too small around the axle shaft.

But I just looked it up on RockAuto and a #51098 is a big bearing seal. Lists them for the 3300lb axles, which are the heavy duty ones on our rigs.

Paul

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Thanks Paul, just ordered the axle and seal. Ya the seal surface was wright at the point do I try to clean it up and hope it last or just do it wright. I've used speedy sleeves will good results, but one have had bad results.:p