• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pertronix help wanted

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Anyone around RTP, NC that knows the Pertronix ignition box? I’ve been working in n the thing for 2 days and am running low on patience.

I’ll buy food, drink and pay you for your time.

Shoot me a PM if you’re able to help!

Thanks!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I've been using the petronix flamethrower distributor. it has a module built in. One thing that I've learn is the distributor has a different shaft size 0.500 compare to stock. 0.531

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I've been using the petronix flamethrower distributor. it has a module built in. One thing that I've learn is the distributor has a different shaft size 0.500 compare to stock. 0.531

Thanks for the info but my situations is slightly more involved than the module. I have the full Pertronix ignition system… billet distributor, HP Digital ignition box and coil.

I have it all wired in temporarily to get it running. No love.

This is a complete rebuild of a ‘65 mustang. Does os died which is why I’m hopeful to find some help.

image.jpg image.jpg

My bronco project is waiting patiently…

image.jpg

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I found the wiring gremlin of the moment! Neutral safety switch wasn’t bypassed! It’s cranking now.

@Madgyver Thanks again for the advice. See what tomorrow brings!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad you got it cranking! Do you have spark?

The starter is a completely different animal. You should’ve mentioned it wasn’t cranking, so that anyone interested could concentrate on the starter system.
It shouldn’t have anything to do with the neutral safety switch with the ignition system. That’s usually just for the starter and not to disable the ignition.

Now that it’s cranking, good luck on the sparing part too! Hopefully you don’t have to crank it very long if it’s got a new flat tappet cam.
Or is it a roller cam engine?

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC

The starter is a completely different animal. You should’ve mentioned it wasn’t cranking, so that anyone interested could concentrate on the starter system.
It shouldn’t have anything to do with the neutral safety switch with the ignition system. That’s usually just for the starter and not to disable the ignition.

Now that it’s cranking, good luck on the sparing part too! Hopefully you don’t have to crank it very long if it’s got a new flat tappet cam.

Good points! It’s a used (only 12k miles) 351w, so it’s already broken in.

I sure hoe tat I have spark! I can’t speb another 6hrs chasing wiring in 90+° heat. It’s brutal!

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC

Engine fired right up earlier today! I hit timing almost dead on just dropping the dizzy into the hole (dumb luck there!!). The 750 double pumper was way too much carb but I knew it was a “known” item and one less variable. Now I can button a couple details on my 650 double pumper and drop that onto the intake.

Engine runs strong with no burning oil. Worst part is that I found it was a leaking rear main seal…. Wish I had known that before sticking trans in laying on the concrete floor…. I may borrow my buddy‘s lift to pull it, install the seal then reassemble. ….really wish I had a lift!!! Maybe some day….

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
If you can, ditch the 650 dbl pumper too. Almost any carb is better than the dbl pumper for your Bronco unless it's built with a very serious cam, HIGH compression, high stall converter, etc, etc.

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
If you can, ditch the 650 dbl pumper too. Almost any carb is better than the dbl pumper for your Bronco unless it's built with a very serious cam, HIGH compression, high stall converter, etc, etc.

My broncos will get simple 2-bbl carbs…. This one is a different horse by Ford.

‘65 convertible, 351w, 4-speed top loader and a custom built 9”. I’ve done everything to this thing myself - body, floors, subframe connectors, 9”… all of it and I’m proud of myself for it!!

71000600489__EA4BF631-DA6A-4593-8346-D204408B11ED.jpeg

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Good job!
Thank you! Here’s a short list of what I’ve done so far…
full floors
Inner rocker panels
Inner and outer wheel housings
Quarters
Tail light panel
Both doors
Radiator support
Passenger fender well
Frame raila
Trunk floor

And on and on

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Get those wire nuts out of your electrical system. They have no business being in a car. Proper crimp terminals are cheap as are decent crimping pliers. Solder joints would be best but I understand not everyone has the ability to solder wires.

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Get those wire nuts out of your electrical system. They have no business being in a car. Proper crimp terminals are cheap as are decent crimping pliers. Solder joints would be best but I understand not everyone has the ability to solder wires.

To be clear…. These were ONLY installed to start the engine. They are NOT permanent. All wires will be cut to proper length, soldered or use proper crimps and loomed correctly. I only do things one way - the right way.

Again - this was only used to make sure I had it wired correctly before cutting and making it permanent!

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC

All cleaned up!! A couple in-line solders and a couple crimped connectors. I’m happy with the final product.

IMG_0336.jpeg IMG_0335.jpeg

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Much better. You’d be surprised how often I pull wire nuts out of automotive wire harnesses. Home Depot sells crimp connectors as well but people are just gravitated to the simplicity of a wire nut.

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Much better. You’d be surprised how often I pull wire nuts out of automotive wire harnesses. Home Depot sells crimp connectors as well but people are just gravitated to the simplicity of a wire nut.

I totally agree and it’s ridiculous to use wire nuts! This car came into my possession as a “been sitting in the barn for 20yrs”…. It was a complete POS with wire nuts, random toggle switches and lamp wire under the dash!! It was straight up scary!

I gutted all of it and tossed it straight into the trash.

Hope you and yours are enjoying the holiday!

Happy 4th of July to you and all others reading this!!!