• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Possible bent axle or wheel?

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
You guys can probably tell I'm getting ready to go on the road because the frequency of my posts is increasing 😂
So yesterday while checking the transfer case, I noticed that the driver side rear had a noticeable wabble to it.
These are brand new wild Horses 31 spline axles and a brand new housing, with brand new aluminum rims and brand new tires. It's only been driven around the block. I unmounted the wheel and checked the surfaces and then remounted it, yet the wabble remains.
I already plan on taking the offending wheel and tired to discount to be checked, is it even possible that the axle is bent?

THX,
JB

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Is the wobble in the wheel or tire? Tires can do weird things after sitting for a while. Usually they will work themselves out once you start driving. If you notice the wobble in the wheel flange (like where you put the weight) then I would be checking for runout at the axle flange then the wheel and see where it is. It’s entirely possible that something is bent even though it’s brand new.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Wobble is definitely in the wheel. The flange is small enough that I'm going to need a run-out gauge to measure that.
I thought as an alternative test I would Mount the spare which has never seen the ground and see how that looked. If it's a wheel, they can't all be bent, can they?
THX,
JB

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Chances of them all being bent is extremely low. When you checked the surfaces did you check under the rotor and both sides of the rotor hat? A small burr or piece of rust (I get you shouldn't have rust if you’re just finishing your build but I needed an example) can cause a large change out at the edge of the wheel.