• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

power steering coversion 70 80 van ford 302 351 2wd?

benelibutton

Picked up this box and pitman arm saginaw pump hoses at a estate sale for ten dollars. Couldnt pass it up. Now what do I do with it? I have heard of a coversion of a box around that time period. Can anyone clue me in. Pros cons?

Attachments

• 1415655576158.jpg
    1415655576158.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 1415655609023.jpg
    1415655609023.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a pic of the offending parts? A 2wd van box might be what people use the input section from to create a 4x4x2 box with the main gearbox section from a '78/79 Bronco/F150.

But it might not too. I'm not familiar with the van boxes myself, but am curious to see it.
Does it mount inside the frame rails, or outside? Guessing inside, but curious.

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Van boxes are usually saginaw. I think you could use the interanls to convert a scout saginaw bax so it turn the correct direction for a bronco. Sounds like a pretty good deal over all even if you cant use the steering box. $10 for a saginaw pump with ford mounts is a good deal. especailly when you didnt have to pull it yourself.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yep like I said before box is good for a scout conversion. pump will work just dont know for sure on the bracket but theres plenty of metal there for mods to make it work.

OP
OP
B

benelibutton

Ill have to look that up. I have never heard of the scout conversion . I have to imagine thats not a cheap box to get ahold of. Might as well just buy a bronco power steering box. Might go to the classifieds.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... OK If the box is good for the ScoutII conversion..
... Then I'LL add this since I run the ScoutII box. I'd not do this swap again as I'd just get a Stock Bronco Box and us it.
... Now I read about the ScoutII conversion when I 1st came on scene here. So AT That time they said use a 1980 ScoutII box. Send it to the builders and have the guts swapped to change it's direction of turn .. Mine does work good. But I was not impressed with my drilling of the new 3rd bolt hole But mine has been installed for about 5 + years I guess.
.... Now I'm used to mine & I couldn't imagine it any other ratio.. But at 1st I wrote about it being a 3.25 ratio instead of the 4.0 I wanted.
... Today I'm going to say I'm OK with this 3.25 ratio.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The scout conversion probalby isnt real popular mainly due to the scout guys tend to grab them up for there scouts that dont have PS. But they are out there as there were more years(72-80?) that the scout had PS than the bronco did. So its a option. I believe for awhile Duffs was selling converted scout boxes.
I grabbed a scout box at the pick and pull a few years back but I havent actually converted it yet. I may just try and find a scout guy to sell it to. But then again it may be useful some day for a conversion or parts.
I also have to look at it closer one of these days as the hoses may be correct for a stock bronco box with a saginaw pump. That could give a lot of us a option for a pressure hose that doesnt need a adaptor or custom made.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Broncoaz I think you may be correct. Because on mine I just simple found a 90 ^ Brass fitting for my return side. and the pressure side was of no issue either. made yself a HYD hose & 12.00 well spent.
... Also Broncoaz I think you can use the S10 CHEVY worms in this box. As it may be the one that's faster turn like mine 3:25.

OP
OP
B

benelibutton

Well maybe I can get a few bucks for it and keep the pump form my stock bronco box im going to install