• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering rebuild...

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Today I thought I was going to overhaul the power steering box on my '72.

As I got started, I realized this rebuild is screwed. The sector shaft is twisted, cracked, and slightly bent. I guess years of PO abuse on 35's took its toll on the stock box. It took above average persuasion to get it out of the box.

Couple questions...

Is it possible to get another sector shaft for this box? I would like to keep this one as a spare for my '68, as it's a 4 turn box, and the 68 stays mainly on paved roads. I've read the scout boxes have the same sector shaft.

On the 72, I'm keeping the 35" tires. I'm thinking my best option is to buy a 4x4x2 box. There's one available in the for sale section. I have the 2x4 box, just need to source the 4x4 box and swap parts. What else is involved with that swap? I assume I need a new input spline on the steering column shaft. What about pressure hoses? I have the stock pump and hoses right now. Will my current drop pitman arm fit? Lastly, I assume I will have to drill one of the holes in the 4x4 box to match the Bronco frame.

Anything else I'm missing?

a259f4a170b88cf7969093aab78adefc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jdgephar

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Thanks Viper. I had read an earlier post you wrote about that. Is there a source for them? I also think I'll end up breaking this again if I use the same thing.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
scout boxes are rarer than the Bronco boxes. put a want ad in our classifieds.

OP
OP
Jdgephar

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
What about the 4x4x2 swap...what else would I need besides the box for sale in the for sale section?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks Viper. I had read an earlier post you wrote about that. Is there a source for them? I also think I'll end up breaking this again if I use the same thing.

Keep in mind the sector shaft diameter is the same on Ford and saginaw boxes. That shaft took a really big hit at some point. It's good to get it off the road before it kills someone.

What about the 4x4x2 swap...what else would I need besides the box for sale in the for sale section?

Different input spline size. Output is same. Bolt pattern is slightly different. Hose ports are different size on at least one of them. It may change the angle of your draglink slightly. I would recommend plating both sides of the frame where the box mounts if it hasn't been done yet. You will be removing more metal from the frame to fit the other box and the frame is known to be weak there.

OP
OP
Jdgephar

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Keep in mind the sector shaft diameter is the same on Ford and saginaw boxes. That shaft took a really big hit at some point. It's good to get it off the road before it kills someone.

Different input spline size. Output is same. Bolt pattern is slightly different. Hose ports are different size on at least one of them. It may change the angle of your draglink slightly. I would recommend plating both sides of the frame where the box mounts if it hasn't been done yet. You will be removing more metal from the frame to fit the other box and the frame is known to be weak there.

Am I hearing correctly that I should be okay using a stock Bronco box if I can find parts, or another box?

I already have a custom steering shaft ready to go, as I'm going to try to retrofit an '86 tilt column in it. I can order a ujoint with the correct input fitting for the 4x4x2 box.

I think I can get hoses made with the right fittings on each end.

As far as the mount to the frame, would it take more than drilling out one location on the 4x4x2 box itself to mount it up?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Am I hearing correctly that I should be okay using a stock Bronco box if I can find parts, or another box?

As far as the mount to the frame, would it take more than drilling out one location on the 4x4x2 box itself to mount it up?

As with anything physically larger, the 4x4x2 is an overall heavier duty box compared to a stock EB box. The sector shaft diameter and splines are the same for the pitman arm, but the box in general is beefier and heavier duty.

It would be impossible to re-drill the steering box to fit the EB frame. You need to modify the frame or use an adapter plate to install the 4x4x2.

OP
OP
Jdgephar

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info. At this point, I'm wondering if the Borgeson kit from cjponyparts would be the best option for me. Brand new bolt up box and hoses for under $600. Just need a different ujoint for the input on the steering shaft.

I'll see if any stock boxes are available for a little while first in the classifieds...no rush yet...tons of body work to go.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The case is heavier on the Ford box. The internals are similar in size to the saginaw. I wouldn't say either is substantially stronger than the other. I've seen cracked sector shafts on both. Build whichever you can find parts for.