• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about a 1977 Bronco and 1979 GT Mustang engine swap

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
Summer vacation is almost upon me. I am getting my truck ready for its transformation. I was thinking of replacing the original 302 engine that is starting to fail my Bronco with a rebuild 1979 Mustang GT engine off of a 1988 Mustang GT that has horsepower to spare. The Bronco has an automatic transmission. I am not sure if it is a C4. I don't know what trans they used in 1977. My question is: Will my engine bolt right up to the rebuilt trans that my Bronco has or will I be forced to buy another trans? Will this be basically a straight forward bolt up? They are basically the same engine just two years difference. I believe they will just bolt up fine but I wanted to make sure. Some of your guys have already gone through this I just wanted confirmation. Thanks
If anyone is interested in a rust free 1988 GT Mustang body, I will have it for sale in about two weeks for $1200. It was set up for racing. Has a frame welded to the unibody. You are basically getting a complete car minus the engine. The car is located in Chicago. PM me if you are interested. Thanks again.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
First off do you have the computer and wiring from the 88 mustang? If so I may be interested in it.

As for the engine bolting right up, yes and no. yes it will bolt right up but you need to have your current flywheel rebalanced to 50oz tomatch the newer engine. Ford changed the balance on the 302 from 28 to 50 in 1982. Other than the flywheel you are good to go.

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
First off do you have the computer and wiring from the 88 mustang? If so I may be interested in it.

As for the engine bolting right up, yes and no. yes it will bolt right up but you need to have your current flywheel rebalanced to 50oz tomatch the newer engine. Ford changed the balance on the 302 from 28 to 50 in 1982. Other than the flywheel you are good to go.

Add the harmonic balancer also, it should be a 50 oz too.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd be a little leary of that engine in a bronco if it was setup for racing. Do you know what cam it has in it? If its fairly big you may run into issues and may need a higher stall converter. But all in all the engine will swap into yuor bronco with no problem just put your oil pan, timing cover, flex plate, balancer and pulley's on it.