• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ram Assist Steering

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm running a single end ram, with stock explorer PS res. I might consider a larger res at some point. But, just this morning, I was studying how to mount the wench--sorry, wrong word--winch I've had since christmas last year, and I noticed my tie rod is bent at the point the ram mount is welded to it. It would appear that the ram was able to push further than the knuckle allowed. I had noticed a few months back that I had a slight death wobble. But it was only noticeable when I had my telescoping steering shaft tightened up--I had messed it up and it had slack, so I have to slide a shim up the shaft to keep it free of slack. Too tight and it actually caused the steering to freeze up when i accelerate hard. Fun times. I need stiffer steering linkage, and I'm already running the heavy duty TREs.

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
I haven't said this in a while..... a Filter is mandatory in the return line. you can go fancy with a full blown spin on hydraulic filter or an in line. here's examples of both. So is a cooler, the OEM Ford one is sufficient.

This is on my Bronco

This is on my 1970 Gladiator

there are a couple of schools of thought and not everyone agrees. Some say a larger reservoir is needed and some say it doesn't matter. I've done both on both box/assist applications and full hydraulic systems. The only advantage I've found to the larger system is it can have a leak longer and still work.

In racing applications where there are a lot of big steering impacts like hitting craters, large rocks and dare I say trees, using a pump without a reservoir like an explorer is important. It is possible to pressurize the "canned spam" pump enough to cause it to fail, however I've only seen that happen with PSC's aluminum reservoir attached to it.
Oh! Awesome, I hadn’t really thought about filtering.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Is this kit the 4x4x2 box? I've never spent much time studying the 4x4x2 to understand its advantages, but I do have some stuff to build one. Just haven't seen the need. But if you tell me it's faster steering than the EB box....maybe I'll have a ported EB box to deal to someone that needs one (and I have that someone in mind!)
I’m not sure if it is or not, it’s just a nice complete kit that isn’t over the top with a bunch of stuff you don’t need. All it is lacking is a small cooler and filter.

By faster do you mean faster ability to turn the wheel or faster ratio, fewer turns lock to lock?

I’ve been told I’m sadistic about my love for 3 turn boxes and 13-14” steering wheels. I want to try a 2 turn box but haven’t committed to the dollars for an experiment, that might also negate my comfort level of letting anyone drive the truck, a lot of kids have learned to drive in my truck, which I find fun and very rewarding.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I'm running a single end ram, with stock explorer PS res. I might consider a larger res at some point. But, just this morning, I was studying how to mount the wench--sorry, wrong word--winch I've had since christmas last year, and I noticed my tie rod is bent at the point the ram mount is welded to it. It would appear that the ram was able to push further than the knuckle allowed. I had noticed a few months back that I had a slight death wobble. But it was only noticeable when I had my telescoping steering shaft tightened up--I had messed it up and it had slack, so I have to slide a shim up the shaft to keep it free of slack. Too tight and it actually caused the steering to freeze up when i accelerate hard. Fun times. I need stiffer steering linkage, and I'm already running the heavy duty TREs.
If your ram is pushing further than the stops, check your ball joints, it is murder on them. That’s another thing, ram needs to be the correct stroke, Howe and West Texas Off-road are the only 2 companies that make their rams in house that I’m aware of, the others are “this is what we offer”. It is very important for the life of all of the components that the steering stops, and ram come into play at the same time.

What are you running for linkage? I see you say 1 ton TRE’s but what is between them?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you do run the remote reservoir, which I would for the added fluid capacity and filter, you'll need to run a non-reservoir pump housing, otherwise the remote reservoir will overfill the pump housing and it will come out the fill tube/cap. In talking with the guys at PSC and WTOR, they both suggested Ø1.5" diameter rams for light-duty, multi-purpose, weekend warrior type rigs on smaller tires (<Ø40") like mine, noting that I'm planning on running Ø37" tires, as that should be the most responsive and provide the fastest turning. For the more aggro applications running bigger tires and/or needing more force in general (like on slickrock), they suggested stepping up to the Ø1.75" ram as a good option so long as the slightly slower steering isn't an issue.
I'm running a 1.5" x 8" stroke single-rod ram on my '78. Sag pump. No rservoir. I'd like to change over to the non-res pump and external reservoir ...but I've got an air tank on driver side fender top and dual batteries, so space is lacking.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Oh! Awesome, I hadn’t really thought about filtering.
I ran a remote engine oil filter. Added a quart of capacity and a fair bit of surface area for cooling. Every couple of years spin a new one one and add a quart of power steering fluid.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the West Texas Offroad ram assist on both of my broncos, one has hydroboost as well with a dual return pump (the one with the aluminum cooler has hydroboost). Both have saginaw pumps without an external reservoir and use ported stock EB steering boxes. What I did do that I'm confident helps is adding a cooler to the return. You can see the cooler below and in front of the radiator in the pic. Adding a cooler and longer lines gives more fluid capacity. My other bronco I used an old Ford cooler like the EBs had out in the grille (pics). I'm confident the coolers help.

confident it helped in both cases. IMG_1252.JPG IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
Nice! I’ve definitely added a cooler and filter to the list now.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
If you are set on doing this, I might have a deal for you. I have a friend with a very nice 74 Ranger that was a well built crawler. It has a 78 Bronco 4x4x2 box that has been ported, and has the ram assist on it. He has decided to make his Bronco more of a Boulevard crawler...so he wants to remove this perfectly good (and nearly new...) set up. He just wants to go back to stock, and lower his Bronco and run 33's.

I have a perfect 4 turn Bronco Saginaw box that I could swap him, then take his stuff and send it to you. I know he wants to do it very soon. I just don't want to come off of my Bronco box. I think $1500 would get it done. PM me if you are interested, and I'll text you some pics.

Good man