• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Random wiring questions

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
On my 73 Bronco LS engine swap I've installed the VA Gen 5, Holley Terminator X ECM, and Dakota Digital gauges. I've gotten most of the wiring complete, but I have a few remaining questions.

Here's the first one. This is the Ford wiring that terminates at the firewall, below where the throttle linkage was. What are these wires and do I need them anymore? I can't remember what plugged into them.

7FDEE4AB-9D2F-467E-ACAC-85F841148BDD.jpeg

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Here's number two. Dash wiring. I've got a black w/green stripe. On my wiring diagram it shows up in two spots In pic where shown image.jpg image.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On my 73 Bronco LS engine swap I've installed the VA Gen 5, Holley Terminator X ECM, and Dakota Digital gauges. I've gotten most of the wiring complete, but I have a few remaining questions.

Here's the first one. This is the Ford wiring that terminates at the firewall, below where the throttle linkage was. What are these wires and do I need them anymore? I can't remember what plugged into them.

View attachment 924759
Are you talking about just the red connector? That one is power to the ignition coil, and the two sending units. One for oil pressure one for water temperature. The fat pink/brown wire is the resistor wire and it’s probably molded in with the brown wire that comes from the starter relay.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's number two. Dash wiring. I've got a black w/green stripe. On my wiring diagram it shows up in two spots In pic where shown View attachment 924761 View attachment 924760
Black with green is accessory power. And that particular connector in your hand is attached to the center stud on the back of the ignition switch.
It literally powers everything in vehicle that is switched by the key. Other than the original ignition and voltage regulator and starter.
Everything in the ACC position.
From items in the fuse box, to the gauges.
The gauge connector is completely different and it is a small splice off of the main branch and goes to the back of the instrument cluster. That one is a push on connector.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
4th one. Purple wire. I can't find it on my diagram at all. View attachment 924766
Probably the prove out for the brake warning lamp.
Pushes onto a small blade connector on the side of the ignition switch. Grounds to the dash when the ignition switches in the START position only.
Tests the bulb every time you start the truck.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
Are you talking about just the red connector? That one is power to the ignition coil, and the two sending units. One for oil pressure one for water temperature. The fat pink/brown wire is the resistor wire and it’s probably molded in with the brown wire that comes from the starter relay.
I’m questioning all of those wires coming into the engine bay in that pic. II’m thinking I don’t need any of them????

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well just look at the colors. Since you're replacing the sensors and the ignition (presumably) you are probably right that you don't need the red connector wires.
The single with the Blue wire, is probably for the old throttle control solenoid (anti-dieseling) thingy. Probably don't need that either, unless you'd like a convenient spot to take 12v from for some other accessory.
If the ones in the other connector are anything resembling Red w/blue, and perhaps Red w/black (or is it black w/red?), then you only need them if you want to retain your neutral safety switch and backup lamp functions.
Working with an auto, or manual trans? Got another source for your backup lamp switch wiring? If you're keeping your main harness stock (or at least stock-ish) then I'd say you need that one.
I'm just not sure, even now that I'm looking at them on the bigger screen. But you can tell from right there what color they are, and what the other end connects to.
If you're not sure, then take a neutral-safety switch connector (assuming you have an auto that is) and see if it plugs in. If you have a manual, then there would normally be a jumper wire connecting the two Red w/blue stripe wires together, as a bypass.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Solid brown? Push on connector and solid brown, should be pretty easy to track down. Don’t have my Diagrams in front of me, though, and can’t remember what the brown wire is for. Someone will have that info I’m sure. Maybe Oldtimer has a handy diagram.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Heater blower motor perhaps? Whereabouts is it located? I know from the heat switch to the resistor is an orange wire and a red wire, and I forget what color it is out to the motor. But perhaps that is the heater power to the switch itself.
Is there a push on terminal in the center of the heater fan switch?