• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Raptor liner prep question

NCSUWoj

Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
So how far does one need to go to prep the bed for Raptor Liner? My plan is to get this cleaned up and shot with epoxy to seal it up nicely. Then planning to go back with Raptor Liner at some point once I get the remainder of the body work done on the rest of the body. Do I need to "feather" out these scratches on the bed floor as if I was going to paint it? Will they show through the Raptor like paint would? I don't want to waste a bunch of time sanding if it's not needed beyond just normal scuffing/prep work.
I had to take it pretty far to start with because of wonderful carpet adhesive that was on it! Man what a pain that was.
Any help or thoughts on this would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_143641242.jpg
    IMG_20200419_143641242.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20200419_143637296.jpg
    IMG_20200419_143637296.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200419_143625346.jpg
    IMG_20200419_143625346.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 53

SDBMtber

I had mine sand blasted so can’t compare exactly. But, I don’t think you need to do anything special. I put a couple coats of raptor on and did a rougher texture and I wouldn’t think you could see transition from paint to no paint like you have. I’ve seen some folks doing a smoother texture and maybe a single coat and maybe there’s a chance it would show through with that approach.

I think you’re fine without the extra prep..

Rocko1012

Bed looks good, Some Epoxy gives you 72hr to paint over it. After that you must be scuffed for mechanical Bond.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
It is not as revealing as paint so more forgiving of imperfections. When I was prepping, I called their tech support and got a very detailed direction on the phone in a conversation that lasted ~20 minutes. I would give them a call if I were you. :cool:

OP
OP
NCSUWoj

NCSUWoj

Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
I had mine sand blasted so can’t compare exactly. But, I don’t think you need to do anything special. I put a couple coats of raptor on and did a rougher texture and I wouldn’t think you could see transition from paint to no paint like you have. I’ve seen some folks doing a smoother texture and maybe a single coat and maybe there’s a chance it would show through with that approach.

I think you’re fine without the extra prep..
Thanks! I have gone back and forth about having it blasted but there just isn't much left that is original to blast! Lol. Just the bed floor really..
Bed looks good, Some Epoxy gives you 72hr to paint over it. After that you must be scuffed for mechanical Bond.
Good call on the top coat over epoxy. I may just wait and get everything ready to epoxy and then raptor it so I don't have to scuff it. I am planning to pull the tub shortly to get the underside of it too.
It is not as revealing as paint so more forgiving of imperfections. When I was prepping, I called their tech support and got a very detailed direction on the phone in a conversation that lasted ~20 minutes. I would give them a call if I were you. :cool:
Great idea BronCowie. Hadn't even though of calling them. Thanks!

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
needs a thorough degreasing with acetone or lacquer thinner before epoxy. And as mentioned, epoxy within a day or two of when you use the liner. If you don't hit that time window, you lose the chemical bonding between the epoxy and raptor liner.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

great idea, let us know how it goes..

look forward to finished product :)

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I don't know if this makes a difference, but Upol makes an epoxy primer that's compatible with their Raptor liner. I've shot the inside rear wheel wells when I replaced the rear quarters with the epoxy, and it shoots well. I also covered it within the suggested time frame, I think it was 48 hrs with the Raptor. The finished product looks great. Unfortunately I haven't tested it durability on the road, but it holds up great parked in a garage.

I'm getting read within the next week or so to spray the underside with the same combination. I'm going to add ceramic beads to the Raptor liner to help control heat transfer.

OP
OP
NCSUWoj

NCSUWoj

Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
I don't know if this makes a difference, but Upol makes an epoxy primer that's compatible with their Raptor liner. I've shot the inside rear wheel wells when I replaced the rear quarters with the epoxy, and it shoots well. I also covered it within the suggested time frame, I think it was 48 hrs with the Raptor. The finished product looks great. Unfortunately I haven't tested it durability on the road, but it holds up great parked in a garage.

I'm getting read within the next week or so to spray the underside with the same combination. I'm going to add ceramic beads to the Raptor liner to help control heat transfer.

That is good to hear! I didn't know they offered a primer. Looks like it will be a good choice to spray first if specifically going with Raptor. The data sheet says you have 7 days to top coat with raptor. That is very convenient!
Let us know how it turns out on the underside. I am very interested to see the finished product!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I had a couple of corners lift due to bad prep. Bout a 1x1 spot.

I prepped and prepped and prepped........Corners are very hard to get into to clean.

I cut out the lifted area and recleaned, hit it with some self etching primer and resprayed the area. Been good for a year now.

Spray the well used areas with extra coats. I have a couple small chips from the bed. Had a tire iron loose back there and after too many beers went for a night drive through the hunting lease. Looking at it, it chipped in some areas that were THINLY coated. The chips are very small.

I plan to respray the bed with a coupe more coats at some point.

Tim

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Timmy, I hear you on the prep. I've degreased and pressure washed and let it dry. I then degreased by hand in all the difficult spots, corners, up inside the tail light housing, etc.... Now I'm planning on hitting the impossible areas with a spot sand blaster followed by acetone. I'll miss something, but that's ok.
I'll post a couple of pics and an AAR after I'm done.