• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RARE Pony Edition 66 with Parchment Interior

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I ran with the son of the local Ford Mercury dealership and owned a 'stang in the 70s and was fairly knowledgeable about the line. I was told the Pony Package was designed for convertibles and was a better material to stand up with weather. I only remember being in one new one with a Pony Package, which was a '66 fastback, so anyone know if the material was different?

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I didn't notice it at first, then thought it was cut. I had 3 66's line up in a row and after looking at them and then noticing it wasn't cut I realized Ford must have had made 2 different hood in 66 also. That's why I posted it for the group to see and compare and get some feedback. :)

3 diff hoods now. The early 66 didn't have the rear cross brace, then the one with the brace and then I guess the short center brace. Finally found a pic on here with the no brace hood.
IMAG0208.jpg

Last edited:

66Bronco

I'm not saying that the pony seats are a fluke. I just question whether or not they were a Factory Ford option. "Factory" meaning it was installed while the Bronco was being built. My personal experience is that I have seen not seen any Ford documentation for the Bronco pony seats being offered but that doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Given the apparent lack of documentation in the Ford material I have seen, I believe the Pony Interior may have been a dealer option. This would be similar to the optional items that were ordered by Duane Kennedy back in 1967 at a Ford dealership for the Silver Fox. In the scan of the purchase order below you'll note Warn hubs, tire carrier (not a Ford Factory option until 1968), and fender cut-outs. None of these items were Factory installed items. Btw, you'll note the item "Special Paint" on the purchase order and the window sticker. The Bronco was ordered to have a non-standard Bronco color, in this case Thunderbird Gray. Duane told me that the color was applied at the dealership.

scan0002-vi.jpg

These items were not listed on the resulting window sticker.
scan0001-vi.jpg

Again, this is just an observation and "guess" on my part.

I am admittedly skeptical of stories of what is or is not factory based on my experience with talking with Bronco enthusiasts over the years. Believe it or not I have had conversations with folks that swore up and down that Ford offered the 351W as an optional engine. The proof statement given was to consider how many Early Broncos have them. That's just one example, there are been many other similar claims just like that one.

I look forward to the day that someone can actually produce documentation from Ford explaining the story behind the pony seats.

-Terry

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm with you Terry, I want to know all about what the real story was. I agree it looks like Maybe a dealer thing, but the issue I see it that it would have to be very expensive to reupholster seats for a truck in stock or even ordered. And there are so many of them out there it seems. I have the Ford Truck accessories brochure and rarely see any of those items on Broncos today and those were available even over the counter. Could have been a regional thing too, for a special promotion. Think Denver Broncos...we know those existed and were painted and DSO'd by Ford Factory...yet has anyone shown us a brochure? Anyone?
Regarding paint being applied at the dealer in a special order color on a special order paint truck....I wonder why the factory didn't just send a white truck or any other color. I know the Bajas have a similar note on the window sticker right down to the verbage at top and bottom but were in fact painted at the factory.

gclauson

Contributor
glclauson:
The Mustang seat foam is the same as Bronco. Not sure about Econoline...I sort of doubt Econoline had the same seat frame even. What IS different is the foam on a Mustang Pony seat VS a Mustang Standard (Bronco) seat. So I think that may be the difference noted.

Thanks for that clarification! That will help when I piece together the new covers.

I scanned the window sticker to post, but the PDF file size is too large for this forum's rules, so I need to rescan it and play with a smaller version JPEG. I also have the stamped metal trim tag that was hanging on the firewall. Would that have any codes that are useful to anyone?