• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear axle drain plug stripped

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since the rear axle was never equipped with a drain plug, this would be something that someone did themselves sometime in the past. And there are hundreds of different ways that someone could have done it. Not knowing how yours was done, cannot say what it will take to fix it.

OP
OP
tampabronco

tampabronco

Since the rear axle was never equipped with a drain plug, this would be something that someone did themselves sometime in the past. And there are hundreds of different ways that someone could have done it. Not knowing how yours was done, cannot say what it will take to fix it.
That you explains the location of the plug. Guessing it can be tapped

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The housing material on the lowest part of a 9" isn't really thick enough for a good pipe thread. The best way to add a drain is to weld on a bung. That said, I did it the easy way. I drilled and tapped for a 1/4" pipe plug, but I was really careful not to run the tap too deep. If yours leaks, you can try some \Teflon tape. If that doesn't fix it, drill & tap to a 3/8 pipe plug, or better yet, weld on a bung.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK

Maybe he's got a 66' rear, with the big plug on the back? Still not a drain plug but could be the plug he's referring to.