• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

REVISED - PS System Questions

msweb

Bronco Guru
What size diameter is the stock pulley?

Can you run an inline PS fluid filter?

Any idea about normal PS operating temp?

Can you run a temp gauge for the PS fluid and if so, how?

These may seem like random questions but bear with me. I just got done flushing and burping the air out of my PS system. Hydro assist with a canned ham pump. I'm using ATF instead of PS fluid.

I tried flushing the system through the return line by cranking the motor but couldn't get any flow. I was only able to get flow by starting the engine and immediately shutting it down before the resivoir ran dry. This makes me wonder if I was previously burning up pumps because my PS pulley was to large. Previously, if stopped in a tight spot and the fluid was hot, I'd have to get on the brakes and throttle up a bit to get the front end to turn. Now I'm really thinking I need a smaller pulley to turn the pump faster but don't know. How do I know? What size pulley (diameter) are ya'll running?

Now that I think I have all the foam out of the system after installing a new pump and cooler, and watching the level rise and fall inside the resivoir at idle, how do I know I have all of the air out of the system when turning the wheels lock to lock with the front end off the ground?

After flushing everything out, how can I be sure I got all the old PS fluid out and have just the new ATF?

I'm leary of contaminates from the old pumps and any other type of debis that may have been in the system. Is there a filter that I can put inline with the return line?

What is the normal operating temp of PS fluid? Anyone ever put a temp gauge in their system?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Last edited:

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
You have a lot of air in the system. Get the front end in the air. With the engine off, turn the wheel back and forth 20-30 times. Top off as needed. Start and cycle the wheel a few more times. If the pump is still making noise. Let rest for 20-30minutes, then cycle the wheel more with the engine off.

edit: don't cycle the wheel too fast. Go slower when you're near full lock at each side.

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Thanks, did that before posting so I think we're good. I don't hear the pump making any noises, just wondering how I know I did it and did it right... Just to be safe though, I'll do as you described again.

Any help on the other questions?

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
You're not going to get all the fluid out without disassembling the steering gear. If you're really worried about it, you'd just have to flush it a few times and call it good.

The best way to flush it is with the return line off the steering gear and cycling the wheel with the engine off. Don't run the engine without fluid or you'll burn up your pump.

edit: a larger pulley will turn the pump slower, so at idle you're not getting enough pressure. It wouldn't cause any mechanical failure though. Sounds like you might want a smaller pulley.

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Ok, sumarized all the questions at the top. Anyone?

Thanks for the replies Nobody, that answers 2. You confirmed my thoughts on those matters.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
ttt - PS Pulley diameter -anyone???

Stock Bronco 5 3/4"
Stock Lincoln 5 3/4"
Stock Chrysler 5 th ave 5 5/8"
Stock Mustang Serp 5 1/4"

I run the Mustang. Fluid gets a little warmer than I think it should be. Ran the smallest thinnest Hayden tranny cooler from Pep Boys in front of the radiator before I installed A C. I could touch the lines but not hold on very long. Now no room in front of the radiator. Now I don't even try to hold on once it gets warmed up. Well, I tried once.

Here are a couple of pictures of filters. Both from Napa. I have used both. No problems with either. The one on the card costs about $3.00. I am running one like Ransil now. Running without one is an invitation for trouble when you are far from the shop and don't have enough fluid with you to refill it. Tried that once also.

Attachments

• IMG_2113.JPG
    IMG_2113.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2114.JPG
    IMG_2114.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Running without one is an invitation for trouble when you are far from the shop and don't have enough fluid with you to refill it. Tried that once also.

Thanks for the measurements and the pics. By invitation for trouble, you mean you should run one or did you mean to say it takes extra fluid and to carry some? PS fluid is one of the things I always carry just because of the issues I've had in the past, just like an extra quart of oil or ATF. By switching my PS fluid to ATF, it's just one less bottle to have bouncing around in the truck...

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Always run a filter. With new or used components there could be small particles floating around. If you are running a Saginaw, the particles can lodge between the piston or valve in the pump and leave you without power steering or hydroboost if you have one. I was running on the highway going too fast and flushed everything out of the system and dumped it in the ps pump. The pump quit when I was about ten miles off the highway. When I got home I pulled the pump apart and it had metal particles in the relief valve. The ps box was as purchased used 12 years earlier. Everything else was new or rebuilt. I have been running filters ever since. First the in hose filter screen and later the magnetic one as shown in the picture.

The in hose filter doesn't require any additional fluid. The other may require a 3 or 4 ounces. I didn't need fluid when I had my problems because there was no way I was going to tear it down up on the side of a mountain when it was still driveable.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Always run a filter - I'm running a PSC full hydro setup, but it is really no different then running a box.

I have a filter on the low pressure return side - there are two plugs in the back side of the filter adapter, you can easily install a temp probe on one of those ports, but that is before the cooler, so I'm not sure you would want to read that temp. I also run a giant cooler with a fan - there is a temp sensor that operates the fan, but I'm not comfortable trusting that to turn on the fan without a gauge.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
This should be what you need - it is 3/4 16 so it is easy to find the barb'd ends you need.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts.aspx?sku=PRM-1791
prm-1791_w.jpg

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I'll measure my pulley again to make sure but I think it's the correct size. Sucks, because I'd have had a whole lot better feeling if it was to big, lol. I will be adding a filter, that I can assure you of and temp gauge, well, the jury is still out on that one. I'll probably modify the pump to increase the pressure before I worry about the temp. "More Power" fixes everything, right? ;D